Resolutions

Want to talk about something? Life? Faith? This is the place.
Pam
Web Pastor

Resolutions

Post by Pam » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Has anyone made a resolution they're prepared to share?

Mine was simple this year - after 15 months of bad health and 3 spells in hospital, improving my fitness has to be the priority and the first and most obvious step is losing weight through sensible eating.

I don't like slimming clubs - I've been to all the major ones twice or three times each and the meetings don't motivate me at all - but as I do like doing things online I'm doing a 3 month try out for an online plan. It's a bit fiddly filling in all the food I've eaten but it does give a lot of suggestions about how to make it a bit easier.

My aim is to average 1lb a week loss - this feels painfully slow but trial and error show it's about the fastest I can lose weight without having to be so strict that I can't stick to it.

Joyce

Resolutions

Post by Joyce » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:15 pm

Now you've told us all, you've got a lot of people asking you how you're getting on. Smart move ! :biggrin:

:votive2: :votive1: :minicandle: For success and remembering to keep your feet up.
(When you're online keep your feet on the backless castor-ed office chair under the desk or whatever you've been using since I told you to in 2006.)

clairem

Resolutions

Post by clairem » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:02 pm

My Resolution is to read the bible every day but I know this will be hard to do. Anyone have any advice on how to do this.

Pam
Web Pastor

Resolutions

Post by Pam » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:04 pm

Aye, aye, Joyce!
salute smiley.gif
:lol:

Despite today's headlines about being overweight being good for you, I know I have a few stone to go till I'm 'healthily' overweight so I reckoned I needed a bit of extra motivation!

Although the dreaded 'NO FAT!' diet when I was waiting for my gall bladder op was boring and made me feel depressed I managed to stick to it, so eating healthily shouldn't really be too difficult once I get into it.

Anyone else willing to share? :flowerface:

Isobel
previously IMR

Resolutions

Post by Isobel » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:19 pm

I could do with doing a bit more exercise (for fitness rather than weight loss) as my current job is more sedentary than my last one and I'm commuting a long way by car.
I've got the Zumba game for our Nintendo Wii and find that works quite well for me as I enjoy the dance aspect so I'll try to do that once a week.

My other main problem is worrying about things too much, but I'm not quite sure how to go about tackling it as 'don't worry so much' is a bit too vague to be a proper resolution. Suggestions welcome!

Joyce

Resolutions

Post by Joyce » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:45 pm

The same way you get yourself to do anything else every day, Clairem Think about how you do that and apply it to Bible reading.
I always found that not putting things away but leaving them within reach where one goes every day is a good way of encouraging activity. Keeping the piano in the hall with the lid up, leaving the violin on a chair, the golf clubs outside the back door, the jogging shoes near the front door,the knitting and sewing within arm's length of where one sits to watch TV etc, helps many people. If that's the sort of thing that encourages you, leave the Bible open at the last page read where you can pick it up without making a fuss.
An additional ploy can be having more than one Bible available,such as a cheap paperback you don't mind spilling food on or covering in suntan lotion, a small one to keep in your handbag, an MP3 for your earphone device and a free Kindle version on your phone, as well as the edition you revere for your 'quiet time' or whatever you call it.

truthseeker

Resolutions

Post by truthseeker » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:55 pm

Yes, Joyce! Oh, what a lovely advice you gave Clairem.

i am joining here the discussion to share that I am in some sort of battle-resolution-dilemma to try having a child. Nothing stops me except couple of little nuissances:

my husband is not convinced does he really want children, i've been never a mother, and with the time i found out that i actually can live single and without a family.

but we married and now i think it would be nice having a child, seeing how does it go and may be more in the future. My husband seems to share now that he wants children, but sometimes action doesn't follow words.

Everything is in God's hands, but I find very difficult to decide what I really want. Time goes by and I don't know where to find the right answer. I see I don't help God a lot in order Him to help me, but i don't have a lot of control over these matters.

Do you think that we should pray for clarity in such matters? Even if we know we want something, what about if never happens?

Joe Parrish
Location: Antigua, New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

Resolutions

Post by Joe Parrish » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Pam wrote:Aye, aye, Joyce!
salute smiley.gif
:lol:

Despite today's headlines about being overweight being good for you, I know I have a few stone to go till I'm 'healthily' overweight so I reckoned I needed a bit of extra motivation!

Although the dreaded 'NO FAT!' diet when I was waiting for my gall bladder op was boring and made me feel depressed I managed to stick to it, so eating healthily shouldn't really be too difficult once I get into it.

Anyone else willing to share? :flowerface:
I eat a lot of carrots and celery when I get the muchies, along with some low cal dip like hummus; I avoid chips, cookies and breads (I'm allergic!), potatoes, rice, corn (I am also allergic!), butter, but eat a little cereal each day. Lettuce is my friend :laugh: And with a few/lot of dried cranberries, most everything can taste like dessert! :lol:
Peace and blessings,
Joe :)
Peace and blessings,
Joe

Joyce

Resolutions

Post by Joyce » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Isobel, when you worry,stop and write down a reasonable answer to every 'what if' question. It's been known to work over time.
Imagine you are a child whose parents tell you Saddam Hussein is not coming to your house and to go back to sleep. (I'm guessing at your age and remembering what the prevailing childhood fear was in the nineties.) Run the scene again and this time make them tell you Daddy has got a big gun and can hold him until the police come and arrest him. The gun is locked away in a magic cabinet and can only come out when there's real danger so it can't go off accidentally and hurt anybody. It's the dismissing of worries that encourages worry in some of us.
Do fire drills and power-cut drills regularly at home and keep a good stock of toilet rolls, medicine, food and water in the house in case of transport strikes or heavy snow falls. Make sure your life and house insurances are up-to-date. Buy every wind-up device such as radios, torches and phone chargers that you can and remember where you've put them. Keep blankets in the car and take hot drinks and sandwiches with you every time you go out. Even if your worry doesn't involve this sort of thng it will help increase your sense of security and readiness.
It's no good telling yourself something won't happen because it's already happened somewhere to someone, otherwise the worry wouldn't be there. Remember your old Guides motto, 'Be prepared' so that you can deal with the worry instead of fretting about worrying.
Vet courses used to be the hardest to get into. Many doctors are those who hadn't the grades to be a vet. The genuine importance of needing full marks on everything as a teenager might well be carrying over. Many of our mental habits cause us trouble long after they have served their purpose.
While you're keeping fit take some music with you to move to. If that doesn't help, take radio podcasts instead so that you feel your brain is gainfully occupied in learning something,following a drama or having a good laugh.

Karen

Resolutions

Post by Karen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:05 pm

My plan is to get back into my nice linen trousers as I've put on a lot of weight recently. I've had an injury that prevented me from doing any significant excercise but now that seems to be on the mend I need to eat sensibly and get walking again. I'm not planning to get any scales, they got lost in the move, but I did take measurements of my tum and bum and I'd like to loose 2 inches off both. I did 20 mins walking yesterday and today and I just have to keep going.
Ying tong yiddle I po...

Ernest
Auxilium

Resolutions

Post by Ernest » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:07 pm

I wonder if New Year Resolutions are really the thing to do.

When we Worship and say the general confession, we promise to amend our ways and go forward repentant, and renewed in Christ. So, shouldn't this mean that any changes we make to amend our lives are renewed at that time?

I know I'm being bit of a geek with this, but I've found that NYR are something that I never seem to keep with any vigour - life changing stuff though comes from meeting and explorations of faith, growth points so to speak. This can include things like taking more exercise, giving more to charity or our church and a whole host of other things.

I'm planning to start a bible study course with my SD next week. It will be something I've tried to do alone, but I have identified the need for some more expert guidance - hence he offered and I gladly accepted. Is this amending my life? Or just self improvement?

But for anyone who is making NRY I will be praying that they are able to persevere with them. :votive1:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Pam
Web Pastor

Resolutions

Post by Pam » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:42 pm

I don't make new year's resolutions most years, but it does help with something I know I have to change - ie my eating pattern - to have a start date so I'm hanging it onto the new year.

Change will only happen when we're committed to it, whatever time of the year we decide to change. I tried to give up smoking as a new year's resolution several times but I was only finally able to give up when I decided I really did want to - not just that I 'should' - and that was nowhere near a new year's eve!

Joyce

Resolutions

Post by Joyce » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:08 pm

Truthseeker, it certainly sounds as though praying for clarity wouldn't come amiss.
However, remember that none of us has the right to gamble with somebody else's life. People don't come on approval : we can't send a child back to the shop if being a parent isn't what we hoped for. There's no changing of mind.
Bringing somebody into the world means involvement for the rest of one's life. Your own parents still have you for a daughter, for example. One begins by making 100% of all the decisions, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for the new person. It takes many years before he or she can stand on his or her own feet, if ever.
In your case the hours you'd have to do in the career you're thinking of training for would rule out that kind of work for a very long time. A child can't be put in kennels like a dog or cat while you're out.
You and your husband,you particularly, need to decide whether you want to become the different people you would be if you became parents. You already know how to live your life if it doesn't change.

Josie

Resolutions

Post by Josie » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:18 pm

For me I never make resolutions, purely because I don't like making promises that I know I won't keep. I did consider making a resolution to read the bible daily, but decided to just do it.

I found a daily reading plan on YouVersion and started it last week. So I'm sort of doing something new but it's absolutely not a resolution! :laugh: :flowerface:
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.

truthseeker

Resolutions

Post by truthseeker » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:34 am

Joyce,

you are absolutely right in all your advice! It is a very heavy decision-making for me, because I wouldn't just go like other people and start a family for the sake of it.

Since I started thinking of having family or not, many years passed ( eh, not so many, but let's say enough for me to think seriously over these things) and I am still at the starting position exactly because I never felt I am sure enough that I will be able to afford the best for future offspring. I come from a family which is ok financially, but in which the woman was constantly bullied and abused verbally and physically - my mother and father respectively.

This made so affraid of family affairs and I even didn't think I will be able to overcome my own fears and decide to marry a man. But since I found one, who is quite special for me, i think that i might overcome my fears and hopefully if I have children they will live in a better family atmosphere, much more balanced and loving than that of me and my parents.

thank you for taking time discussing!

Joyce

Resolutions

Post by Joyce » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Great attitude, Truthseeker.

Lyn

Resolutions

Post by Lyn » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:28 pm

Pick it up and read it Clare, cant be that difficult!

Isobel
previously IMR

Resolutions

Post by Isobel » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:42 pm

Thank you Joyce, I think your comment about academic perfectionism is very perceptive. Hmmmm.

Jennifer

Resolutions

Post by Jennifer » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:50 pm

On a lighter note here are some Exercises we'd be better off without in 2013(courtesy of Mikey's Funnies)...

~ Jumping on the bandwagon       

~ Wading through paperwork

~ Running around in circles       

~ Pushing your luck

~ Spinning your wheels           

~ Adding fuel to the fire

~ Beating your head against the wall   

~ Climbing the walls

~ Beating your own drum           

~ Dragging your heels

~ Jumping to conclusions           

~ Grasping at straws

~ Fishing for compliments           

~ Throwing your weight around

~ Passing the buck
:biggrin:

And...

If you aim at nothing, you'll hit it every time.
:biggrin:

clairem

Resolutions

Post by clairem » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:00 pm

it is very difficult to pick it up and read it.

Skateboard

Resolutions

Post by Skateboard » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:00 pm

clairem how about a thread on i-church with an agreed Bible reading plan, links to the readings for the day are posted on the thread and people can just pitch in with comments.

Then there would be a feeling of reading the Bible together as a communal enterprise.

I'd be interested in joining in that.
Trying to pray is praying

Within the Church of England, of second-class gender

Skateboard

Resolutions

Post by Skateboard » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:57 pm

Lyn

Resolutions

Post by Lyn » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:55 pm

clairem wrote:it is very difficult to pick it up and read it.
In what way is it difficult Clare?

You have asked about this at least ten times, and had loads of helpful info, can explain please?

Skateboard

Resolutions

Post by Skateboard » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:51 am

This thread has triggered a desire, which I've had before, to read the Bible chronologically, that is in the order events were thought to have happened, rather than reading straight through the books of the Bible as they are generally arranged, or selecting passages thematically as in Common Worship. I would read the selected passages in German in order to keep up my knowledge of German.

In addition I have the aims this year to:

- learn some basic Finnish http://www.surfacelanguages.com/language/Finnish
- go to Tai Chi class on Monday evenings - starting this Monday
- devote Saturdays to family and friends
- spend all day Sunday longboarding, followed by i-church evening prayer.

Skateboard

Resolutions

Post by Skateboard » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:05 am

Josie wrote
I did consider making a resolution to read the bible daily, but decided to just do it.
:cool: :spin: