New habits support thread

Want to talk about something? Life? Faith? This is the place.
Karen

Post by Karen » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:26 am

Just for those who are aiming to break some old habits and put some new ones in their place this new year.

I need to shift some weight and get fit again so rather than try and change my eating habits overnight and give up all the things I love I have cut biscuits out of my diet this week. As I get peckish mid morning I've tried having half of breakfast at the normal time and half later.

Next week I thought I would try making soup for lunch as it is filling and if I make it myself I can make sure it is low fat.

Any one else up for a support thread and are there any good soup receipes out there?
Ying tong yiddle I po...

Josie

Post by Josie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:23 am

:flowerface: Oh I should sign up for this but I don't think I'm mentally focused enough to set myself a losing weight/get it goal.

Though I did have a sulk and ate TWO peanut butter Kitkats last night!

:redface:

Also, I've never made soup before. I did make a successful Toad in the Hole last night. I somehow doubt that's healthy though. :hmm:
xxx
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.

Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:47 am

The habit I need to get into is writing down everything I eat - as part of following a proper healthy diet.

I managed the NO FAT diet when my gall bladder was playing up, because despite it being very restrictive it was also very simple and I ate other things to compensate for the missing fat.

Being sensible about EVERYTHING I eat when I could eat anything I want is a much more daunting prospect!

Coriander

Post by Coriander » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:33 pm

:help: I think I need to sign up to this. I'm addicted to killer suduku.

Most people say 'You need to do something to relax' when I tell them, but they don't realise how addicted I am.

This is one of the reasons I joined i-church, so I do something productive with my time. :flowerface:

Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:21 pm

I'm a bit the same with tetris since I found a site online where I can play it :redface:

Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:16 pm

I'm off to a local health authority course tomorrow (snow permitting) to help people increase their exercise and improve their diet.

I'm already losing weight following a fairly standard eating plan but I think the more support I have to keep at it the better!

Karen

Post by Karen » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:58 am

I fell off the eating plan yesterday as it was cold and I was running between funerals and it is a little known fact that spare chocolate biscuits left over from a funeral tea have no calories. OK who am I kidding :redface: but I do seem to have lost a bit of weight. Now it is the long slog of keeping up the no biscuits, cakes and sweets regime until it becomes a habit not to eat them. This could take awhile....
Ying tong yiddle I po...

Joe Parrish
Location: Antigua, New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

Post by Joe Parrish » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:39 pm

I found that sweets with no cookie are not that bad for me, but it's the carbs that put those pounds on every time. I think that's called the Dr. Atkin's diet here, no carbs, and it seems to work for us. We also avoid things with high fats, which most all of our chocolate candies here have.
Peace and blessings,
Joe
Peace and blessings,
Joe

Joyce

Post by Joyce » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:52 pm

Let's see - do clergy no longer get offered mince pies, hot-cross buns,teacakes, fairy cakes, chocolate fingers, flapjacks,shortbread and mid-morning biscuits at meetings,functions and parish visits ? Isn't it considered polite to accept at least one any more ? That must be why they're getting slimmer. :lolol:

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:32 pm

You can follow me on Pinterest if you'd like some healthy eating inspiration. I'm doing Daniel Plan's whole foods diet [or at least my version of it]. I'm trying to build up a resource of recipes I can adapt. I have a limited opportunity to eat socially at the moment. Loosing weight has been a slow slog. Now I'm in my healthy BMI I do still worry and would like to loose some more.

What preoccupies me most is how to be friendly and amenable and maintain good habits in the future. I get fatigued and down, and am trying to use food to boost my mood, and the outlook of those around me when I'm given the opportunity to share my recipes.

When it's not snowing I exercise too. I can be all or nothing in life. One biscuit means a little less resolve to say no to the next one.

Moderation takes constant work and fine tuning which I don't appear to have a heuristic for . I am learning new methods, which is probably as important to me as the actual diet, or "fasting" t.b.h

@ Karen I've been trying the big breakfast/ lite lunch since new year. More to stabilise my mood than anything.

Joe Parrish
Location: Antigua, New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

Post by Joe Parrish » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:40 pm

Joyce wrote:Let's see - do clergy no longer get offered mince pies, hot-cross buns,teacakes, fairy cakes, chocolate fingers, flapjacks,shortbread and mid-morning biscuits at meetings,functions and parish visits ? Isn't it considered polite to accept at least one any more ? That must be why they're getting slimmer. :lolol:
If one is allergic to wheat and corn and their derivative products like corn syrup and corn starch, that gives one an 'out', Joyce :laugh:
It's that when one learns what one can eat, one must keep that secret! :cool:

Actually, my wife joined Weight Watchers, and I lost several pounds, :biggrin: most of which I have somehow struggled to be able to keep off.

Now we read that if one is slightly heavier than average, that gives one some more 'survival' points! So now I'm focusing on surviving! (Yum, yum!) :tongue:
Peace and blessings,
Joe :)
Peace and blessings,
Joe

Ros

Post by Ros » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:11 am

Pam wrote: Being sensible about EVERYTHING I eat when I could eat anything I want is a much more daunting prospect!
I get that :) In fact, I have a huge admiration for anyone with the determination to restrict their diet in order to lose weight. Well done you and Karen! :flowerface:

FWIW, my husband started on a 5:2 diet last summer - where you eat a very limited number of calories on two days a week and normally on the remaining 5 days. As far as I know, he had never even thought about dieting up to this point - dismissing it as something for which he didn't have the self-control. But this way of going about it appealed to him precisely because he was still allowed to eat the things he liked on the five days when he wasn't fasting.

So far, it seems to have worked very well. The weight has come off slowly and steadily and he has lost nearly two stone since last summer.

I have not followed suit. This is partly because fasting doesn't tend to work very well with the ME. It makes me wobbly. Also, the amount of weight I've gained since losing my mobility still isn't enough to be of major concern. I might prefer that it wasn't there, but I don't actually need to get rid of it.

I could probably do more to improve my muscle tone, though. Maybe I should give it another go, now that I'm properly over the bug I had at Christmas?
Coriander wrote: This is one of the reasons I joined i-church, so I do something productive with my time. :flowerface:
That sounds to me like a good approach. The last time I found myself wasting too much time on a pointless game, I found an even more pointless game to play instead; one that I hoped would be equally relaxing but less addictive. As things turned out, the second game was dull enough that I soon got bored with it and found something better to do with my time. I haven't played either game since :)

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:08 am

I seem to be an odd person out. In that I can't be bothered with playing games, I'd rather read and do something productive with my time. Perhaps writing stuff for others or being interactive on blogs etc. :reading:

As for eating!! Well, I've had to restrict my diet since my doctor found that I had high cholesterol and had to go onto medication for it. I'm already a veggie so didn't eat meat or fish. I'm now banned from cheese and other stuff which raise cholesterol. :cry: As it was a major part of my diet, it was a blow.

I now have lactose or vegan cheese. And have started to eat oily fish, along with my spouse to do something about it. In theory, I should be lighter and have in fact shed 3 lbs since last October when this started. I'm taking more exercise by walking and hope that when I go back to my doctor next week, I will have shown enough improvement to at least be taken off medication, although, she said that taking Statins would be life long. :o

Changing habits can be hard - I still sneak a tiny portion of cheese, probably once ever couple of weeks - thinking that 'little' can't harm? Now I need to just stop waffling and all will be well :whistle:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:18 am

Games and puzzles are actually very good for your brain. They have been shown to reduce the likelihood of developing Alzheimer's, and been described as 'mental aerobics' by neuroscientists.

Doing puzzles and playing games also allows the brain to work on other issues while the consciousness is otherwise occupied. I found them to be invaluable while I was doing my MA - philosophical concepts often need a lot of unravelling, and letting my brain get on with things without me forcing it to go along a specific pathway was a very useful technique.

Moderation in all things, of course, but that works both ways!
Kindness is underrated.

Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:22 am

I do games and puzzles AND comment on blogs and forums. Obviously the sign of a misspent life .... :redface:

Good point about brain activity Caroline, I have also heard that. I suspect both participating in blogs and forums and playing games are better than watching old re-runs of Bergerac and Lovejoy on Yesterday channel which is probably what I'd be doing all day while I'm recuperating if the Internet hadn't been invented.

(Double :redface: :redface: )

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:36 pm

ROFL :biggrin:

Of course, with a laptop you can have Yesterday on while also using the internet. Just as background noise, of course. Or maybe it's multitasking. :thinking: :angel:
Kindness is underrated.

Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:54 pm

I know :redface: :redface: :redface:

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:02 pm

I suppose the games and puzzles for me at the moment are working out the intricacies of cooking or a trained chef, while she is disabled by illness :(

As those who follow my twitter and facebook trails, I've been having exciting times with Mashed Potato's. Too lumpy for Jen's taste and I've just learned how to make gravy - Yay.

But I've had a few culinary disasters in the past week or so, which I should be ashamed of - but shame is just the obverse of pride so I sin again by trying and failing again :(

But, I know that Jen loves me, just not my food :)

And before you say, buy a masher - I'm on my way to the shops tomorrow. :thumbs:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!