Christening Etiquette

Want to talk about something? Life? Faith? This is the place.
Josie

Christening Etiquette

Post by Josie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:18 am

I've finally plucked up the courage to start making plans for my son's baptism. My problem is that I don't have a clue of what is expected, or what I'm supposed to do. I was eight years old the last time I was at a christening ( far too long ago to remember :D )

I've had a long wrestle with who to ask to be God parents. It's important to me to that I chose someone who understands a God parent is for spiritual guidance. This instantly rules out any friends or family. I think I've made the right decision and asked a couple of the ladies who have helped me in church.

I've asked if we can just have tea in the church hall afterwards, where as I suspect the "done thing" is to have a whole HooHah. I neither have the funds or the ability to cope with such a thing.

It's a CofE church, I'm just wondering if there are any traditions that I should know about please?

Love,
Josie
xxxx
:flowerface:
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.

Karen

Christening Etiquette

Post by Karen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:24 am

A service followed by tea in the hall sounds great.

What happens in my part of the world is that baptism is often used as a sort of alternative wedding and it marks the partnership and new start of a young family. Everyone gets very glammed up and there is a real party atmosphere. I think that is where the idea for the big blow out party comes from but if that isn't what you are doing, then do what you are comfortable with.

For two of my children we had a tea and cake affair in the back garden and as the garden was small it was just family and close friends. For the third child we had the same thing in the church hall as we had made more local friends by then. Great fun!
Ying tong yiddle I po...

Pam
Web Pastor

Christening Etiquette

Post by Pam » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:28 am

When our sons were baptised we invited people back to the house, just family who'd travelled and close local friends mainly. Families whose children I've baptised have had celebrations ranging from a huge 'do' - as Karen says, something like a large wedding - to sausage rolls and a cake in the local pub, tea and cake in the hall and/or asking people back to the house.

The parallel with a wedding is a good one - the church service is the same however you choose to celebrate it afterwards, and people choose very different celebrations according to taste and budget.

I'm sure everyone will be pleased with going to the church hall, nobody has to find it or re-park their cars and the main point is to have a chance to speak to the family.

Caroline
Site Admin

Christening Etiquette

Post by Caroline » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:39 am

I think that sounds just lovely - and I'm sure the people from the church will feel very much a part of it, with the tea in the church hall. :flowerface: :flowerface: :flowerface:
Kindness is underrated.

Josie

Christening Etiquette

Post by Josie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:06 am

Thank you xxx

That is something that's important too, including the church. Isn't one of the points of a baptism to welcome the child/person in to the christian community? They've all been so good to me it would be a shame to take the celebration somewhere else.

Another thought occurs, gifts. Should I be thinking of gifts for the God parents and is there anything in particular that is traditional to give?

:cross: xxxx

Emle

Christening Etiquette

Post by Emle » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:26 am

My children were all Baptised during the Family Service and everyone attending that service was invited back to the Church Hall for a 'Faith meal'. This had been announced as a forthcoming event and most people brought a 'savoury or sweet plate of food with them'...I was always amazed at how many people attended and a host of helpers were always on hand to lay tables make tea/coffee etc. etc. Someone asked me was it called a Faith meal because I had faith that there would be enough food :blink: we always did :)

As for gifts for the God parents ..well to be quite honest the greatest gift I have ever received is the privilege of being asked to be a God Parent..there is nothing to compare with the trust and confidence parents have in you ...so I have never thought of giving or receiving a gift.

Pam
Web Pastor

Christening Etiquette

Post by Pam » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:27 am

I think it's traditional for the godparents to give gifts to their god child, rather than the other way round.

But I'm sure they would be delighted with a gift, how about something to remind them of the day like a photo of their god child in a pretty frame?

Joyce

Christening Etiquette

Post by Joyce » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:42 am

Emle wrote:

As for gifts for the God parents ..well to be quite honest the greatest gift I have ever received is the privilege of being asked to be a God Parent..there is nothing to compare with the trust and confidence parents have in you ...so I have never thought of giving or receiving a gift.
Hear hear ! Very well worded, Emie.

Josie

Christening Etiquette

Post by Josie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:08 pm

A Faith Meal sounds lovely!

I have to admit when I asked the ladies it was very emotional. They were over the moon. It was was immediately after the Epiphany service and we were still in the church.

I was still wrestling and worrying that I was being presumptuous to ask such a big thing of them. Then it just came to me that this was the most perfect time to ask. So I just rambled on a little and tried to explain that they were such a comfort and support to me and that was why I'd asked them.

I like the idea of a nice photo. I'd like to give them something but I know there's nothing physical I could give that can show how grateful I am. I think I'm coming to realise the true meaning of church family.