Snow

Want to talk about something? Life? Faith? This is the place.
Karen

Snow

Post by Karen » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:06 pm

So we have unseasonable weather in the UK which made Canadian visitors to our church laugh this morning as it is just 5 inches of snow and not the end of the world.

So how are you coping if you have snow?
Ying tong yiddle I po...

Pam
Web Pastor

Snow

Post by Pam » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:20 pm

Jim always goes to the office to clear his emails for an hour on a Sunday afternoon then pops in to see his mum and dad.

We can't get the cars out of our road and it's too far to walk in the snow so he's been at home all day.

Cat has been crossing his legs but we managed to 'persuade' him to go out just before the heavy snowfall set in again.

Apparently the local co-op is heaving with people who can't drive elsewhere but on the downside they have very little food left!

Jae
Auxilium

Snow

Post by Jae » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:20 pm

My course was postponed yesterday ... I'm now snowed in and already people who have parked cars on this side of the road have started pushing the snow off of their cars onto the narrow pavement so it will take twice as long to clear again ... sigh ... I thought we'd escaped the worst of it in the last couple of days but it has been snowing non stop since before 8 this morning :huffy:

Anyway I hope those of you who enjoy a snowy frolic are having good fun ! :cold:
In the triumph of prayer
Twofold is the spell.
With the folding of hands
There's a spreading of wings
And the soul's lifted up to invisible lands
And ineffable peace .....

Evelyn Underhill <><

Caroline
Site Admin

Snow

Post by Caroline » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:17 pm

Jae wrote:Anyway I hope those of you who enjoy a snowy frolic are having good fun ! :cold:
We are! :biggrin:
33.gif
We had 4 or 5 inches on Friday, and have had another 1 or 2 today. Our road (country lane) is clear, but there's very, very little traffic on it, so I suspect it isn't passable further down.

The birds have been incredible - I think the only thing we may run out of is bird-food, given how fast they are eating it. They're getting through 15 inches of bird feeder each day (only the best seed - all hearts, with no seed coverings, and a good variety). We have quite a flock of bramblings, who are usually occasional visitors, but are permanent at the moment. I've been putting out fruit for the blackbirds and cheese for the wrens too.
brambling2.jpg
Kindness is underrated.

Ernest
Auxilium

Snow

Post by Ernest » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:18 pm

I managed to get our car out this morning to go to a localish church service. Didn't take the risk of travelling to Canterbury - read the forecast, looked at the traffic news and thought, don't be silly.

As I left church it started snowing and hasn't stopped since. Have cleared the garden twice for the cats - they need somewhere to go and some actually live out all year round, so need to feed them in sheltered, snow free ground. :flowerface:

Our Rabbit Hutch (Cat Hutch) is full with two feral cats at the moment who allow me to put food in with them on a dish, without growling or cowering - so, perhaps they are on the way to tameness. :thumbs:

Went upstairs to do the ironing and yet another, strange, black cats shot out from behind the rocking chair in our bedroom :) We seem to be home from home for every waif and stray.

I don't mind snow, but resent the fact that our local council will only clear or grit main routes and ignores the side roads completely. It's inviting accidents as people slither and slide to try to get to the main roads. :angry:

Shank's Pony for the next couple of days methinks.
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Caroline
Site Admin

Snow

Post by Caroline » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:34 pm

Ernest, I was very taken by a comment on the BBC website from Kent Council: "We have an army of 160 farmers with snow ploughs."

It sounds as though Kent is about to declare war on the rest of the country! Aside from that, it does seem a bit of an odd approach. :hmm:
Kindness is underrated.

Jae
Auxilium

Snow

Post by Jae » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:59 pm

watch out for them mangleworsels ..... :lol:
In the triumph of prayer
Twofold is the spell.
With the folding of hands
There's a spreading of wings
And the soul's lifted up to invisible lands
And ineffable peace .....

Evelyn Underhill <><

Joyce

Snow

Post by Joyce » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:22 pm

Ernest, I don't know what is in the minds of Highways Departments in towns and cities that makes them think that people who live in side streets don't need them cleared so they can get to the main roads.
It makes me wonder just where these people live.

Joyce

Snow

Post by Joyce » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:27 pm

Karen wrote: So how are you coping if you have snow?
I live on a main road. Ha ha :)

Joyce

Snow

Post by Joyce » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:33 pm

Jae wrote: Anyway I hope those of you who enjoy a snowy frolic are having good fun ! :cold:
Not everyone is - I asked my friend if her son was having fun in the garden making a snowman. She said she wouldn't let him go outside because - - wait for it -- it was too cold. She'd forgotten we don't get snow that's playable-in when it's warm.