New Year's Resolutions

Want to talk about something? Life? Faith? This is the place.
Caroline
Site Admin

New Year's Resolutions

Post by Caroline » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:19 am

Anyone making any? Do you love them or hate them? Are they a waste of time?

The one thing I have to do is finish my dissertation, but I have a firm deadline for it and it's a matter of 'Do it or fail', so I don't think it has the necessary voluntary nature for a resolution.

Last year we resolved that 2008 was going to be the year of the garden, but then events took over, we both became very busy, and the garden was more neglected than it has been any other year. :rolleyes:

Ooh - I have just remembered that I was going to make one resolution - I'm going to upload a lot of photos to the free site that I used for the advent calendar, in appreciation of all the generous people who offer their work free of charge. :thumbs:
Kindness is underrated.

Pam
Web Pastor

Re: New Year's Resolutions

Post by Pam » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:35 pm

I don't go a bundle on New Year's resolutions most years but I have already started improving my fitness and the new year's resolution is to improve my diet as part of that.

It's not 'lose X lbs' or 'follow diet Y for 6 months' - both of which have have failed to motivate me in the past - I'm going to focus on healthy eating and drinking. I used to have a very healthy diet and I realised recently I've gradually slipped into a lot of bad habits which I'm going to address.

I find it hard to believe now but when I was younger I rarely ate anything between meals, just didn't 'do' things like cake and biscuits and ate loads of vegetables and fruit. If I can regain those habits I'll be doing really well.

I've also just received details of a load of events and courses from a friend so I might try and do a few new things this year in terms of prayer.

Lavender

Post by Lavender » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:03 pm

I generally don't have new years resolutions (as they rarely "stick" for me). However, this year I've determined that I want to serve GOD better then I have in the past...to do my best to serve Him by serving others. How I go about this will be His decision this time (not mine!) :D

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:00 pm

My Resolution is to retire this year around August Time!!

Which will be easy to do, as I am actually retiring despite blandishments for me to extend or to stay on. I have done this job for the last 42 years, and therefore, feel it is time for a change.

Happy New Year All

:choccake: :votive1:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

enyaj

Post by enyaj » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:16 pm

Resolutions often do little other than to make people feel guilty when they fail. To my mind the best resolution is *to try*. I doesn't matter if I fail as long as I do my best at whatever I take in hand.
Jayne (in Aroha, Hope, and Love. ) nz

. * . (\ *** /) * . You may be dissapointed
* . * ( \(_)/ ) * * if you fail, but you are
. . (_ /||\_) . * doomed if you don't try
* . /____\ *..*

Karen

Post by Karen » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:34 pm

Why should resolutions make other people feel bad? Most of the new year resolutions at my office are about giving up smoking, laying off the chocolate and going to the gym. The fact that we all know about them means we can help each other when the temptation to go out and check the car park is still there and have a quick ciggie gets too much.

My resolution is to do less. Not to try but to do. I take on far too much and it is flattering when people ask me to do things but I will be saying no much more clearly this next year and give myself time to reflect and be creative.
Ying tong yiddle I po...

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:17 pm

I've just noticed that have 1036 emails in my Inbox. Maybe I should resolve to sort them out...
Kindness is underrated.

Shane

Post by Shane » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:31 pm

I think my belly could do with a few pounds shedding from it this year! Cycle more!
Formally leaningshane

enyaj

Post by enyaj » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:20 am

Karen wrote:
Why should resolutions make other people feel bad?
Why do we feel guilty when we say we will do something and fail to come through?
Jayne( in aroha, hope and Faith ) nz

* . (\ *** /) * .* On the eight day
* . * ( \(_)/ ) * *When it was time to circumcise Him
* * (_ /||\_) . * He was named Jesus.
* *. /____\ * * * Luke 2:21 (NIV)