Spiritual Discipline

Want to talk about something? Life? Faith? This is the place.
BecksC

Spiritual Discipline

Post by BecksC » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:11 pm

Hello Everyone,

I wondered if anyone/everyone could give me some advice?

I am currently struggling with a large lack of spiritual discipline. I also suffer from a lack of discipline in all other areas of my life, but from the spiritual side of things it is much more noticeable.

Does anyone have any advice about how I could try to kick start things, so to speak?

BecksC

Joyce

Spiritual Discipline

Post by Joyce » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:48 pm

What exactly is a lack of spiritual discipline and does it really matter ?

If in the rest of your life your disciplinary issues don't involve forgetting to pay when you buy something,dodging bus fares,neglecting to brush your teeth or not turning up for appointments, etc why do you mind ? If you're neither harming other people nor becoming a health hazard and you're not behaving illegally, why wear yourself out worrying ?

Ernest
Auxilium

Spiritual Discipline

Post by Ernest » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:27 pm

Hi BecksC,

Some sound advice from Joyce.

If you are worried about spiritual discipline, perhaps you might want to talk to a Spiritual Director or Spiritual Accompanier. This is someone within your church or locally, who might be Clergy or Lay. They are trained and authorised to work with people in situations similar to yours. Many Clergy and Laity have such directors or accompanier's. And they support may others as well.

It's worth your speaking to someone local to where you live or worship - perhaps a Parish Priest or Pastor who can put you in contact with suitable people who fulfill this role.

As for spiritual discipline in someways it's about trying to establish a routine of prayer, reflection, worship and works in your life. It has to be a pattern that is simple, which it's easy to fulfill and that doesn't become a burden. It's always best to do it in easy stages, rather than trying to go for it all at once.

Prayers for you as you seek a way forward with this.

Some links:

http://www.spidir.org.uk/finding-a-spiritual-director

http://www.amazon.co.uk/God-All-Things- ... ompaniment

http://www.spiritualitycentre.org/
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

BecksC

Spiritual Discipline

Post by BecksC » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:38 pm

Joyce wrote: If in the rest of your life your disciplinary issues don't involve forgetting to pay when you buy something,dodging bus fares,neglecting to brush your teeth or not turning up for appointments, etc why do you mind ? If you're neither harming other people nor becoming a health hazard and you're not behaving illegally, why wear yourself out worrying ?
Hi Joyce,

I was referring more to all the things I mean to do in a day before I get distracted by 'something shiny'. I am boringly law-abiding, but it is wonderful to hear someone put it into perspective! I am just a worried that I am wasting my time doing pointless things. While doing this occasionally is good, I am finding that I am neglecting important things I need to do. This is most prevalent in my spiritual life, hence the problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions, Ernest. Your words have reminded me of the fact that my whole life lacks rhythm at the moment and I doubt that is helping.

BecksC

Karen

Spiritual Discipline

Post by Karen » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:32 pm

I can sympathise with the 'oh look shiney...' problem.

Sorry where was I?

Oh yes :redface: .

I have found that over many years of being distracted that the one thing that really helped me not be <shiney> was to get into the habit of praying the minute my eyes opened. Some mornings it is just 'morning God - bit early but here we go' and other mornings it is more profound. If I have a sleepness night then there is a lot of prayer! When I used to drive to work I used to pray as I put the keys in the car. Or it could be praying whilst cleaning teeth or having a shower or walking the dog. I'm a big fan of mulittasking as you can see and it sets the day up properly!

Does that help?
Ying tong yiddle I po...

Joe Parrish
Location: Antigua, New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

Spiritual Discipline

Post by Joe Parrish » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:20 pm

BecksC wrote:<>
I was referring more to all the things I mean to do in a day before I get distracted by 'something shiny'. I am boringly law-abiding, but it is wonderful to hear someone put it into perspective! I am just a worried that I am wasting my time doing pointless things. While doing this occasionally is good, I am finding that I am neglecting important things I need to do. This is most prevalent in my spiritual life, hence the problem. <>
BecksC
Hi BecksC, :)
I noted in a reflection for last Sunday http://tinyurl.com/qgjcgv8
that it is good to have a plan for one's life, and that included in that plan one needs to find ways to grow in one's faith. Might be a way forward.
Peace and blessings,
Joe :)
Peace and blessings,
Joe

Pam
Web Pastor

Spiritual Discipline

Post by Pam » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi Becks

I can identify with what you say, and Karen's solution - I've found that if I have certain trigger moments for prayer it makes sure I do pray every day, even if not in a very concentrated way. Then of course there are opportunities to pray with others in most weeks, including i-church services.

One trigger for prayer that dates back years for me is birdsong - whenever I become particularly aware of birdsong it reminds me of God's presence in Creation and I give thanks for it.

A writer who really tackles introducing patterns of prayer into everyday life is Angela Ashwin. Her book Patterns Not Padlocks was very helpful to me, in suggesting that a pattern of prayer does not have to be the same wek in, week out to be effective. It's out of print but available from second hand stockists like Abe Books.
Last edited by Pam on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Messed up link