Vote on women becoming Bishops in the Church of England

Want to talk about something? Life? Faith? This is the place.
Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:32 pm

Tomorrow (Monday 14th July) the General Synod of the Church of England will again be discussing and voting on the arrangements for women to be admitted to the Episcopate, ie become bishops.

The decision that women could become bishops when the appropriate legislation was enacted was taken some time ago but since then there has been a lot of concern about how those people in the Church of England who either don't accept the ordained ministry of women, or don't accept that women can be bishops, will be enabled to remain as part of the C of E and this has held things up considerably.

The last vote resulted in the proposals which were then on the table being rejected. new proposals are being brought back and voted on tomorrow. If the Synod doesn't vote these through then it will be back to the drawing board once again.

A lot of people have been involved in finding a way forward on this, so prayers would be appreciated for the meeting and the vote tomorrow.

For what it's worth, I personally think that the proposals currently on the table are more workable, and fairer to everyone, than the proposals that were voted down. Obviously I am in support of women being bishops - but I have heard that at least some of the people who don't think women can be bishops are happier with the way ahead now proposed than they have been with previous proposals.

For more background, there is a detailed document of the history of the currrent vote on the Church of England website here

Live streaming of the debate can be seen at http://www.churchofengland.org/media-centre

The prayer for the General Synod is
Almighty God,
you have given your
Holy Spirit to the Church
to lead us into all truth:
bless with the Spirit’s grace and presence
the members of the General Synod;
keep them steadfast in faith and united in love,
that they may manifest your glory
and prepare the way of your kingdom;
through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
who is alive and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever.
Amen.
:votive2: :votive1: :votive2: :praying: :cross:

Emle

Post by Emle » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:41 pm

:votive1: :votive1: :votive1:

Jae
Auxilium

Post by Jae » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:33 pm

:votive1: :votive1: :votive1: :praying:
In the triumph of prayer
Twofold is the spell.
With the folding of hands
There's a spreading of wings
And the soul's lifted up to invisible lands
And ineffable peace .....

Evelyn Underhill <><

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:52 am

:votive2: :votive2: :votive2:
Kindness is underrated.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:58 pm

:votive1: :votive1:

Joe Parrish
Location: Antigua, New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

Post by Joe Parrish » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:22 pm

"Monday 14th July) the General Synod of the Church of England will again be discussing and voting on the arrangements for women to be admitted to the Episcopate, ie become bishops."
Prayers that calm but considerate heads will finally prevail :praying:
Peace and blessings,
Joe

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:08 am

Thanks Joe,

As you know by now, the vote was a resounding YES, so Bishops in the future will be both men or women.

A great day for the mission of the church, but there are quite a few traditionalists and so called 'Headship' Evangelicals who've found this experience difficult and it will take them some time to adjust to the new situation that they find themselves in.

There is a proposal to appoint a 'Headship' Evangelical Bishop, but so far, no body has been identified or offered for such a post - and it's unlikely to be a diocesan because all 42 dioceses voted for Women as Bishops. Much more likely to be a Suffragan in the model of the so called Provincial Episcopal Visitors (PEV) or flying bishops as they are commonly known.

We live in interesting times and only time will tell if the HoB and the Crown Nominations Commission live up to their new, revised brief for Bishops to be of both genders - NOW!!
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Joyce

Post by Joyce » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:47 pm

Bishops of both SEXES Ernest, we hope. :biggrin:
The gender role ,to use a sociological term, of a bishop should be neuter, or perhaps neutral.
There may well be languages in which the noun 'bishop' is of the feminine gender. I don't know, I'll have to check-you've got me interested now. I know that royal titles in French are feminine so that Prince Charles, Prince Phillip, Prince William, Prince George, Prince Edward and other men and boys in the royal family, while being of the male sex are referred to using the feminine gender, for instance. It would be interesting to ask a linguist if genders of ecclesiastical titles are feminine in any language.
I'm in a laughing mood today. Makes me frivolous. :sing2:

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:13 pm

Joyce wrote:Bishops of both SEXES Ernest, we hope. :biggrin:
The gender role ,to use a sociological term, of a bishop should be neuter, or perhaps neutral.
I'm in a laughing mood today. Makes me frivolous. :sing2:
It's interesting that think that both sexes is appropriate? What about those who are transgender or even those who are born with both genders?

I think that you're right. The description should be gender neutral, i.e. Deacon, Priest or Bishop. Because they're all called by God to be 'set apart' for his purposes, and gender doesn't come into it really. We view God as a patriarch, but in reality she is gender neutral :)
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Joyce

Post by Joyce » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:44 pm

"What about those who are transgender or even those who are born with both genders?"

Nobody is born with even one gender, Ernest, let alone two LOL Not where birth certificates and passports are issued in English anyway. In German, however, the gender of 'girl' is neuter, although I suppose her birth certificate says her sex is female. I have not seen a German birth certificate, however, so I don't know for certain. :)

I'm not an expert in ancient languages so I have to believe those who say that the word for God is written in plural, masculine and feminine forms in original writings. I think of God as male because Jesus addressed Him as 'Abba' but if anyone wants to think of God as a mother, or a parent of neither or both sexes, I see nothing wrong with that.
Last edited by Joyce on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:49 pm

:woohoo:

And now we can just call them Bishops!

"...there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus" (Gal 3:28).

:woohoo:
Kindness is underrated.