Hello again

Want to talk about something? Life? Faith? This is the place.
glo1

Hello again

Post by glo1 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:05 pm

Hi all

I was a member here some years ago, but haven't been active for a long time. I couldn't work out how to log in, so I have started a new account.
I used to be active in church, most recently with singing in the worship band - but I have not attended church for a couple of years either. There are a number of reasons. Partly it was the Brexit vote which left me feeling alienated and no longer belonging, partly it was my frustration that I feel churches (on the whole) are not politically outspoken enough.
Now I no longer believe some of the basic tenets of the Christian faith around Jesus' divinity, perhaps even God himself.

But I miss a place where I belong, and that's why I stuck my head in the door.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year! :snowball:

Caroline
Site Admin

Hello again

Post by Caroline » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:43 pm

Hello Glo - I remember you! I had a hunch it might be you when I activated your account.

Welcome back, and Happy New Year. :)
Kindness is underrated.

Glo
Auxilium

Hello again

Post by Glo » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:37 pm

The old Glo is back. Thank you, Caroline. Can you delete the glo1 account please?
A little lost in the world.

Caroline
Site Admin

Hello again

Post by Caroline » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:56 pm

Have done. :)
Kindness is underrated.

Joyce

Hello again

Post by Joyce » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:42 am

Welcome, Glo ! Nice to see you again.

Ernest
Auxilium

Hello again

Post by Ernest » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:12 am

Welcome back Glo, I can remember you as well.

Lots of older members are still here, but others might not be as active as in the past. Peoples circumstances change, and they move on to other things, much as you have.

Hopefully you will feel the welcome and fellowship that you had here before :thumbs:

:cross:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Glo
Auxilium

Hello again

Post by Glo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:19 am

Hello, Ernest and Joyce :bye:

Joe Parrish
Location: Antigua, New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

Hello again

Post by Joe Parrish » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:40 pm

Hi Glo.
So glad you are back, yet feeling so...
Didn't realize Brexit broke off the church, leaving you in the lurch.
Faith is a state of mind, so just be kind.
One day we will better understand, as God helps us search and find.
Peace and blessings,
Joe

Glo
Auxilium

Hello again

Post by Glo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi Joe

I don't think Brexit broke off the church, but it has left me feeling alienated and no longer belonging. It has made realise just how many people out there (not specifically in church) believe foreigners to be a problem. I have lived here for 28 years and never knew.

Caroline
Site Admin

Hello again

Post by Caroline » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:22 pm

Please, Glo, don't make blanket comments about other people's motivations and priorities. This is not a place for political wrangling, but please accept that many people voted in a way that you may not agree with for reasons that have nothing to do with a dislike of foreigners.

Far too much has been said by both sides that completely misrepresents the other side's priorities and beliefs.
Kindness is underrated.

Glo
Auxilium

Hello again

Post by Glo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:04 pm

Caroline, I wasn't aware that I had made any blanket comments about other people's motivations and priorities. I try very hard not to. Perhaps you can point out which comments caused offence, so I can avoid them in future?

I speak as one who had no voice in the referendum, who has been deeply affected by it and who is hurting. I had hoped that this might be a place to find peace and support.

Caroline
Site Admin

Hello again

Post by Caroline » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:28 pm

Glo, you said that the referendum "made [me] realise just how many people out there (not specifically in church) believe foreigners to be a problem".

That is assigning a specific motivation and priority to a very large group of people.

I should add that I am posting as an Admin, and not as a member. I assure you that if anyone were making assumptions about all those who voted against Brexit, they would receive the same comment.
Kindness is underrated.

Glo
Auxilium

Hello again

Post by Glo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:33 pm

Believe me, I speak from experience when I say that many people out there don't like foreigners. Please don't belittle my experience and my journey. I made a specific point that this is nothing to do with people in church.

I can see that I have come to the wrong place. Your response echoes what I have experienced in other churches: don't speak out, don't sound critical or challenging, don't rock the boat. :sad:

Caroline
Site Admin

Hello again

Post by Caroline » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:52 pm

All I can do is ask you to respect our rules, Nobody is belittling, or will ever be allowed to belittle your experience or anyone else's on this site.

There is plenty of room here to discuss issues and seek personal support, but I repeat that we cannot accept a blanket statement from anyone that makes assumptions about a group of people.

Members are free to discuss views that have been expressed, but not to make assumptions about the views of those who have not expressed them.
Kindness is underrated.

Joyce

Hello again

Post by Joyce » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:06 am

Glo, I am 71 and the EU - then called 'The Common Market' or 'The Six' was a divisive topic as long ago as when I was at school. There have been divisions over whether we should apply to become, become, continue to be, or cease to be a member for as long as I've been aware of what's going on in the world. It's nothing new and nothing to do with you unless you are years older than me and did things to influence it.

Xenophobia too has always been around but it's another matter. From the age of about three I used to have to ask for things in Welsh-owned shops in Wales because I had an English mother but a Welsh accent.It was the way we could buy goods as they came off ration and so were 'short' and kept under the counter for local people. Similar situations applied in Yorkshire. You should have been a fly on the wall when my family moved to Central England and I first went to school there.It's nothing new, and nothing to do with Brexit or either of the referenda held 40 years apart.
If you're going to make sweeping statements about the feelings and motives of millions of people, you're going to have to give some detail. If you want us to be with you in your hurtful experiences you'll have to say what they are.

Joe Parrish
Location: Antigua, New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

Hello again

Post by Joe Parrish » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:38 am

glo1 wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:05 pm
Hi all

I was a member here some years ago, but haven't been active for a long time. I couldn't work out how to log in, so I have started a new account.
I used to be active in church, most recently with singing in the worship band - but I have not attended church for a couple of years either. There are a number of reasons. Partly it was the Brexit vote which left me feeling alienated and no longer belonging, partly it was my frustration that I feel churches (on the whole) are not politically outspoken enough.
Now I no longer believe some of the basic tenets of the Christian faith around Jesus' divinity, perhaps even God himself.

But I miss a place where I belong, and that's why I stuck my head in the door.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year! :snowball:
Hi Glo,
Hope you haven't left us. I would also be pretty much an outsider if I lived there (I in fact live in the US, but will soon move out in the Atlantic a bit, into the Caribbean, for a few months or years perhaps, going to medical school, assuming I can hack it), and the politics about which you speak would also bewilder me--I simply don't have the history of others there, recent or early; the best I can do is listen to wisdom from wherever it comes, and try to respect feelings as best I can, though writing and reading things is pretty much separated from knowing feelings. But I see some issues in general which the church does not seem always to highlight that I personally think I am passionate about--justice being the main one, equality being another, both surely closely related. Xenophobia, fear of the different, is rampant in many places over here, and I suspect it has always been, and likely there, too. And the other -phobias and -isms don't ever seem to go away far.

Many church leaders here, Protestant and otherwise, and international as well, often make clear whom in our government over here they favor, or don't; it is a bit surprising to me, particularly over here in the states where tax exemption somewhat hinges on being neutral--tax exemption being a necessary part of how churches over here can function. [Be that as it may.] I do however read the texts of the ABC and hear his concern for the poor, the outcast, and the marginalized being louder than for many other international church leaders, and I applaud that, even though I don't see everything he writes.

Christ would seem to side for the poor and oppressed and outcast always, but in my understanding of what he said I don't think he would say economic status alone would dictate his direction to us; we (late 20th-early 21st century) imagined theologians are however prompted to favor the poor, thinking we have the mind of Christ, perhaps thinking we own it a little too too. Ah, wouldn't we prefer to be seated in his seat, I lament to myself, instead of at his feet. Twas true of his first disciples as well. And he often got under the skin of many by citing Samaritans as being pretty wonderful people in many situations, as opposed to his own tribe. He had a way to touch deeply into hearts. We are still trying to see (and work for) his way more clearly, follow it more dearly, be guided by it more nearly, day by day.

And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, still, and on.
Peace and blessings,
Joe