Christmas decorations

Want to talk about something? Life? Faith? This is the place.
Glo
Auxilium

Christmas decorations

Post by Glo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:17 pm

So, what Christmas decorations do you put up, and when?

We have always been tough in our house - the Christmas tree doesn't go up until Christmas Eve! In fact, hubby goes out first thing in the morning to find out of he can still get a cheap tree. If there are still any in the shops (so far we have always been lucky), they are virtually giving them away! :Christmas:
A little lost in the world.

Ernest
Auxilium

Re: Christmas decorations

Post by Ernest » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:40 pm

Glo,

Christmas Decorations - perhaps the question should be What are they for? :thinking:

We take a minimalist view, and only put up a Holly Wreath and Light a Candle in a Window on Christmas Eve.

One reason is that we have a lot of Cats (5 who live in and 4 or 5 who visit) therefore, decorations and trees have always provided a rather tempting attraction for them to play, pull, tug and disaster. (Been there, got the T Shirt). :Christmas:

We do display Cards, and amazingly, we get enough to make a display and to make Christmas obvious to all who come to our home.

We tend to take presents for Grand Children to them, as their home should be where they Celebrate Christmas. So apart from some small presents for the Cats, and our Gifts for each other, A tree has not been a priority in recent years.

While it is not the norm, it works for us :Christmas: .

Ernest
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Glo
Auxilium

Post by Glo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:55 pm

Thanks for sharing, Ernest.
I do like the sound of your minimalist Christmas decor!

(But I bet the cats would love to play with some pretty baubles dangling from the tree ... :laugh: )

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:19 pm

We get the tree about two weeks before Christmas, and it has a lot of sentimental ornaments - ones that were made for us (sadly too many by people who are no longer with us), ones that we bought in special places, etc - and lights.

We have a nativity scene, although the characters keep getting broken. I figure that as long as we have Mary, Joseph and Jesus (who doesn't appear until Christmas Eve) we'll be alright. I have a suspicion, though, that one of the shepherds replaced Joseph a few years ago, but I'm not looking too closely. :whistle: The wise men start in a different room and gradually get closer until 12th night.

Apart from that we have an understated set of lights in one of the trees in the garden, a few candles and cards everywhere.
Kindness is underrated.

Karen

Post by Karen » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:37 pm

Our tree goes up the weekend before Christmas. We get a real one and I tend to buy it a few weeks earlier and put it in the garden to make sure we get one with a nice shape. All the kid's homemade decorations go on garlands around the house which is cute.

We must be one of the only houses around here that doesn't have lights outside. Some of them went up yesterday.

We have cats who love going up trees and they are big Maine Coons so we have to be very careful about leaving them in the same room as the tree or up they go to get an interesting bauble and the whole thing ends up on the floor.
Ying tong yiddle I po...

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:57 am

Caroline-I really like how you display the Nativity Scene with the Wise Men travelling. I won't tell anyone about the shepherd/Joseph possible switch ;) We have a Nativity Scene, but it's static so we can't move the Wise Men.

Like Earnest and Karen we've got the climbing cat situation, and probably even more so this year as we've got a 5 month old kitten! He already is climbing everywhere. So this year I think it will be the fibre optic "twig" :Christmas: that gets used when cats are very young and just want to spend all day and night climbing the tree and knocking off the ornaments!

i love god

Post by i love god » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:34 am

they are for making your home look pretty and peaceful. we put pictures of god in the window to express our love for him. however unfortunately last year, some youth threw eggs at the picture and graffitied it, it was so disrespectful :cry: :cry:

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:49 pm

That's a real shame. :cry:

At least they noticed them though - you never know when seeds are sown.

I hope your decorations are more appreciated this year. :thumbs:

:welcome:
Kindness is underrated.

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:34 pm

It is a shame that some people cannot see others enjoying Christmas, and showing their Love for Jesus. Sadly, some members of society these days, have no self respect, let alone respect for others beliefs, or property. :frown:

I hope that your Christmas this year, is a better one, and that perhaps by this year, the individual who damaged the Picture last year, has grown up, or come to their senses. It would be nice to get an apology. :D

:Christmas: :choccake:

Ernest :tea: :tea:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

BabsUK

Post by BabsUK » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:12 pm

:Christmas: :lovedrops: I so love Christmas which is hard because my husband and daughter both hate it this makes it hard to get excited, I now focus on the grandchildren and we get excited together, we make cards together with lots of glitter, cutting out and a lot of mess

I put my tree up from the 19th December, its an artificial one with lights already on it. We dress the tree with sentimental décor some dating back over 30 years.

We don’t decorate the house anymore now the children have grown and left, but we do hang garland from the ledges with pretty candles light, we have the five candles in the window and sit with the big overhead lights switched off so we benefit from the beautiful tree and window lights. All the presents sit at the base of the tree ready for the big day.

On the 23rd the grandchildren & I go to the carols by candlelight and on Christmas eve I take them to the chirstingle service

My Children and grandchildren arrive from 10.30am to open gifts and have fun with their new toys and games. They will leave after 12.30pm to go home for their lovely Christmas meal and we will eat from 13.30pm with our son James.

After our lovely meal we fall asleep Zzzzzzzzzzzzz then take a long walk over the park with the dogs to walk off the big meal!! :dog:

PS for those who dont know what christingle is; see this link for more info
http://www.thisischurch.com/christianin ... tingle.htm
Nothing is impossible

Glo
Auxilium

Post by Glo » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:23 pm

BabsUK wrote::Christmas: :lovedrops: I so love Christmas which is hard because my husband and daughter both hate it this makes it hard to get excited, I now focus on the grandchildren and we get excited together, we make cards together with lots of glitter, cutting out and a lot of mess
Why do your husband and daughter hate Christmas, babs?

BabsUK

Post by BabsUK » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:20 am

:thinking: because my husbands says its boring, he hates sitting around and hates the waste of money,and the fuss, my daughter also hates it saying that its so stressful and can't really afford spending money that she doesn't have.

No matter what we say about not spending - she has six children so gifts are a high priority which is always a lot of money. :frown:

I think back to basic christmas is the best way but until 'everyone' does it she will struggle to keep up with what the chidlrens need. :rolleyes:
Nothing is impossible

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:21 pm

Well,

One week away from Christmas. I think that all of our decorations are now up!,ie. Cards etc, everywhere. The Cats seem to have left them alone so far, to busy lounging around and sleeping, when they are not eating.

Its a Cats Life!! :D
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Karen

Post by Karen » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:52 am

Decorations are going up today. I really must get on with it but as the house needs a good clean before the tinsel goes up I'm surfing the net and prevaricating. I've got friends coming to dinner who are allergic to cats and my three kitties are long haired so it is time for a deep clean. Oh joy.
Ying tong yiddle I po...

Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:11 pm

Me too.

I'm only a day late sending my cards which is early for me. I've also wrapped some presents before Christmas Eve which is highly uncharacteristic. It's amazing what not having wall to wall carol services can do for you.

Our elderly stressed cat has gone stressed again since the Feliway spray ran out so it's off for more supplies today. It's a cat's life indeed.

Every other year our younger son makes it his business to nag me about not getting the tree early enough, not putting the cards up early enough etc, but this year he has been preoccupied with taking his driving test.

He passed it first time yesterday :dog: so now he'll probably transfer his attention onto Christmas not happening properly.

Karen

Post by Karen » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:08 pm

I've just spent most of the day trying to find Christmas lights. I now vaguely remember that the ones we had last year had failed but it has been a real problem trying to find anything suitable as I had left it so late. Then when I found something, him indoors decided there weren't enough of them, so off I went again to get more supplies. Now we are all twinkly and the tree is up with all its baubles and very nice it looks too.

All I need to do now is cook tonight's tea plus lunch for the visiting inlaws tomorrow and I can collapse in a heap and watch Strictly. The cat is now asleep on the spare tinsel that was going to be used to decorate the dining room so maybe I'll prod him and get a cute picture for an avatar. :devil:
Ying tong yiddle I po...

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:14 pm

Karen,

Good to know that you have made so much progress.

Well, if you watch strictly, you wont be rested, as you should be like us, hypercritical (and jealous) of every step amd move made by the competitiors and decisions made by the judges - What do they know?

Of course, you can nod off to Brucie's jokes, or sit the Cat on your lap and give it lots of calming strokes. That works for me :D

Than you can relax!! :Christmas: :holysheep:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:24 pm

Well I cleaned the kitchen to within an inch of its life yesterday, so now I'm planning how to avoid anyone using it until Thursday .... other than for making coffee, obviously.

I've lost half the decorations, although I have all the important ones, and I seem to have put cards out onto some of the surfaces that need dusting. Oh well.

We are going to a carol service at my parents' church rather than our own tomorrow, because my Dad will be playing the organ, so I think Christmas begins properly then. Mind you, on Monday we're going to a rock concert, which will be great, but seems rather odd in the run up to Christmas.

(Pam, congrats to Son2, and can I borrow some of your cat's antistress spray?)
Kindness is underrated.

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:51 pm

Easy to avoid using the Kitchen - eat out!!

As for stress spray for cats, I cannot see them being stressed. I am surrounded by very laid back cats, who are either stretched out in front of the fire, or alternatively lying around in piles or two or more, wherever they can find a wam spot - normally where the pipes run under the floor or by a radiator.

We had a Extension fitted this year in the form of a Conservatory, which has become the Cat Shed, occupied by cat beds, toys etc. Somewhere there should be my sun seat, oh well, we might need to fit a conservatory to the conservatory for us to use.

One things sets them off, you can have five or six cats around you, and if the front door bell rings, they are nowhere to be seen.

We will be having fun with Christmas visitors etc!! :P :tea: :welcome:
:Christmas: :Christmas:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!