Spiritual Communion

If you have an overwhelming urge to explore the weightier theological ideas, this is the place to seek fellow-travellers.
Pam
Web Pastor

Spiritual Communion

Post by Pam » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:15 pm

While we are unable to meet together in the UK for communion, due to measures to contain the Covid-19 pandemic, some churches are live streaming Communion services.

The Diocese of Oxford has recommended this blog on the practice of spiritual communion, to help us through these strange times.

https://www.chch.ox.ac.uk/blog/thoughts ... ered-house
It’s an old idea that was important in the medieval Church and has often got a little lost or confused. But even when the Reformers rewrote our service books to bring back all the tasting and the touching, restoring the breaking of real bread and the sharing of a common cup to the people, it found a home in the new Anglican theology of Cranmer’s 1549 Prayer Book. At the end of his service for ‘the Order for Visitation of the Sick and the Communion of the Same’, he wrote:

But yf any man eyther by reason of extremitie of sickenesse, or for lacke of warnyng geven in due tyme, to the curate, or by any other just impedimente, doe not receyne the sacramente of Christes bodye and bloud then the curate shall instruct hym, that yf he doe truely repent hym of his sinnes and stedfastly beleve that Jesus Christ hath suffered death upon the crosse for hym, and shed his bloud for his redempcion, earnestly remembring the benefites he hath therby, and geving hym hertie thankes therfore; he doeth eate and drynke spiritually the bodye and bloud of our savioure Christe, profitably to his soules helth, although he doe not receyve the sacrament with his mouth.

And there it has stayed through all the editions ever since. A little disclaimer – or small print, if you like – that, even as the main Communion service put a renewed and powerful emphasis on eating and drinking, on God coming close through the chosen things of his creation, he was never limited. God chooses sacraments like the eucharist to meet us but he never said he would only meet us there, only love us if we physically ate, only bless us if we literally drank.

rogerjames

Spiritual Communion

Post by rogerjames » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:42 am

That's very interesting to read in its original form, Pam. In "Before The Throne", Bellars takes the concept and sets it in a BCP compatible format. This could be easily adapted to an individual's needs and preferred language. Briefly:

Dedication: "In the name of..."

Antiphon: "He humbled thee and suffered thee to hunger, and fed the with Manna which thou knewest not."

Ps. 42 - "Like as the hart.."

Antiphon: "He humbled thee and suffered thee to hunger, and fed the with Manna which thou knewest not, neither did they fathers know. that he might make the know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live."

Our Father...

Nicene Creed

Confession [BCP]

Response: "May the Almighty God have mercy upon me and forgive me all my sins."

Comfortable Words [BCP]

Prayer: "O Lord, Holy Father... I Thy humble servant, being hindered [by...] from worshipping in Thy House, desire nevertheless to lift up my heart unto thee, and to join with all The Church throughout the world, and with Angels and Archangels and all the Company of Heaven, in lauding and magnifying Thy glorious Name, evermore praising thee and saying..."

Holy, holy, holy....

Prayer for Spiritual Communion. There are suitable words for this on Roman Catholic Websites on the Web. Bellars' passage is a bit long to offer here. I will type it if anyone really wants it!

Act of Intercession in Communion with the Church.

Ps 146 vs 1. 4.5.10. praise the Lord oh my soul; while I live I will praise the Lord...

Conclusion: " God the Father..."

I hope you and other readers find this of interest and hopefully adaptable to our needs at the present time.

Take courage!

Roger
Roger James

Good Words are worth much, and cost little. George Herbert
[Outlandish Proverbs No 155]

Pam
Web Pastor

Spiritual Communion

Post by Pam » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:12 am

Thank you, Roger!