Tier Two COVID19 Regulations in England

If you have an overwhelming urge to explore the weightier theological ideas, this is the place to seek fellow-travellers.
Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:37 am

We in North Kent, who are just within the boundaries of Greater London, moved to the High Tier of the Regulations from Medium at Midnight 16th October 2020. This heightens the restrictions on what we are permitted to do to try to prevent the increase in the spread of the virus and to protect the older and most vulnerable and the NHS. The virus has spread unevenly across London, the widest spread has been in the inner city, but also increasing here in the suburbs. When I searched the stat's for our postcode and drilled down, I found four new cases in the actual council ward we live in in one day.

The ward that our parish is in, had 2, so while the increase is small, it demonstrates how much we need to be aware of following the guidance on restrictions on meeting people outside our own households and even in worship in Church.

I am OK with staying home, its safer for Jen in particular, albeit she goes out to work now two days a week. But I take her and collect her and her workplace is covid secure and her boss is very protective towards her. Yesterday, she managed to get a hairdressers appointment and now has much shorter, more manageable hair.

Those who've been meeting on Friday morning for Coffee following the rule of six, in a local cafe are now unable to do that. However, we can meet in the Open Air in a large garden nearby. We will bring our own flasks and wear masks and sit on benches suitably distanced. We have come to value this time together, although if we move to tier three, "Very High" that will have to stop, and we will revert to our previous online coffee morning via Whatsapp.

I am praying for those affected by the virus, particularly those most vulnerable and those caring for them, and of course for those who have died. Our All Souls service is now to be totally online, I was due to read some of the names, instead I will record those names for inclusion in the online service.

:votive1: :votive1:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:50 am

We're still in a Tier 1 area, but the church I attend regularly is in a Tier 2 area. There were plans to have a short, socially distanced service at 12.00 pm while continuing with the online service at 10.00 am, but I think this may have been put off for a few weeks. We have family in Northern Ireland who we would usually see at Christmas, but this will almost definitely not be possible this year. I guess we are all waiting for a vaccine now!

Joe Parrish
Location: Antigua, New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

Post by Joe Parrish » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:50 am

We are still, thank the Lord, in a relatively low covid area, so our churches started opening about three months ago with the three W's, Wash your hands,Wear a mask, and Watch your distance.

Here are a list of our online church services in the Episcopal Diocese of East Tennessee, so you can note how many have developed on line worship: https://www.dioet.org/worship-from-home/

We continue to pray for a solution, but the best we have so far is the MMR booster which has diminished the death rate to only 1/4,000, yet far better than the rate without it, 2 to 7/100 infected.
Peace and blessings,
Joe

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:37 am

It seems that we in Wales are about to go into full lockdown from next Friday for 17 days - right back to where we were from March this year.

Personally it is not a great problem for me, although if it were to be extended (because it is either successful or unsuccessful) I would have problems with not being able to see my parents. I am in two minds about whether or not it is a good idea - it is going to cause an awful lot of stress and confusion for a lot of people - and, it has to be said, it is a touch annoying to be in the county with the lowest rate of Covid-19 in the UK - by a vast margin - since March, and to be put on full lockdown again.

Our county has only had 175 cases and 7 deaths since they started recording in March - that's 241 cases and 9 deaths per 100,000 population, compared to 2,653 cases and 438 deaths per 100,000 for Manchester.)
Kindness is underrated.

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:54 am

The reality for Wales in their idea to have a so called "Short Break" as a form of fire fighting against the spread of the virus is that they could well have been in England, with the Boris machine making decisions and ignoring the Sage Group advice, which wanted one of those short sharp shocks weeks ago. His reason is economic rather than medical, but he does not seem to appreciate that the damage to the economy is already done, and his is just finishing it off.

At least the devolved nations are showing courage and leadership, which can't really be said for England, which seems to be leading with a mixture of hope and mysticism and banality, probably under the influence of Mr Cummings who has his hand in it, not doubt. The Architect of Brexit is now dominating the PM and pulling his strings it seems to me.

They seem content to allow older less economically productive people to catch the virus and to die, thinking about the savings for the DSS with less pensions to pay out. Or am I just being a bit to jaundiced?

My prayers continue for all who lead, for commonsense, listening, good communication and empathy for all. :votive1: :votive1:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:15 pm

I think it probably all looks different when you're on the inside - parts of Wales are in a pretty bad way. The R rate is pretty much the same for all the nations of the UK, and, if anything, is slightly lower for England than for Scotland and Wales.

Let's not get into political discussions.
Kindness is underrated.

rogerjames

Post by rogerjames » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:54 am

Whatever rules are suggested or demanded, we can choose to set ourselves a higher bar to protect ourselves and others. Firstly, we can avoid making the situation worse by taking risks. We can regard what governments demand as a "minimum standard" because we can do better by being more careful, more thoughtful, more supportive, more kind.

Long term, how about planning to be ahead of the game when the next pandemic arrives? What have we learned so far?

Stay safe,
Roger
Roger James

Good Words are worth much, and cost little. George Herbert
[Outlandish Proverbs No 155]

Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:07 pm

rogerjames wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:54 am
Whatever rules are suggested or demanded, we can choose to set ourselves a higher bar to protect ourselves and others.
I agree, Roger. I'm happy to do what makes things better or less worrying for others - altrhough I just can't get the hang of keeping distanced if I pass people in the street! The first time I went out in lockdown, I found the fear on people's faces quite upsetting, but it was probably on my face as well. The more we can do to reassure people, the better.
rogerjames wrote:
Firstly, we can avoid making the situation worse by taking risks. We can regard what governments demand as a "minimum standard" because we can do better by being more careful, more thoughtful, more supportive, more kind.
I think this is always a good principle to follow. I heard a discussion between a presenter and a Welsh politician when Wales had asked people in higher tier areas in England not to visit. The presenter said 'But how will you know where they're from if people try to come in?" and the politician pointed out that it's not a game, if Wales is asking people not to travel there they should have the consideration not to travel there, and that's what he'd expect!
rogerjames wrote:
Long term, how about planning to be ahead of the game when the next pandemic arrives? What have we learned so far?
We keep being told that mental health is suffering across the board, I think we need to look out for people, ask them if they're OK and give them an opportunity to say they're not - which can help with stress.

Also, let's not forget we can pray! Everyone is welcome to post their prayers here in i-church.

:minicandle: :votive1: :votive2: :votive1: :minicandle: