Plans to End Covid19 Precautions

If you have an overwhelming urge to explore the weightier theological ideas, this is the place to seek fellow-travellers.
Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:18 am

I note from the media that the Government seems convinced that the end to all Covid19 precautions will end on the 19th July, with a move away from compulsion (law) to guidance and personal choice.

The situation isn't the same across the devolved regions, they are taking their own stance, but it seems that the UK government want to take the lead, in anticipation that the devolved administrations will follow it. That might happen, but the pandemic has given the devolved administrations a more assertive profile and they may continue to make their decisions based on the advice from their own scientists, not the governments ones.

So, what will it look like for individuals faced with choices in a situation of widespread vaccination, albeit that is not actually 100 per cent. And children and those under 18 are still excluded from the vaccine deployments. This is the group where the virus is increasing rapidly, so some decisions will need to be made.

And the government promised booster doses from September for all over 50's and those in all age groups were or are most vulnerable, suffering from conditions that compromise their ability to resist the serious complications of the virus.

The booster doses will be administered alongside the flue Jab, so the prospect to two vaccinations at the same time is raising fears of unexpected consequences for people, certainly I would prefer to receive them with one or two weeks between administration.

In terms of the restrictions becoming voluntary, we will continue to wear masks in indoor situations, including shops. We will attempt to keep social distancing to the best of our ability and will avoid situations where crowds or present or expected. So, pubs etc remain out of bounds for us.

My spouse is working two days a week, and is expecting to be asked to increase that to 3 days a week soon, with a return to full time by September. Given her highly vulnerable position having had a stroke last July, she will be sheltered as Occupational Health have laid down criteria on what she is able to do safely and what she should not be required to do.

Fortunately she works for an employer who has taken a proactive approach to this, and has been supportive. She has worked there for nearly 50 years, so soon she will be making decisions about retirement. She has told them that next year will be critical for this, albeit, she might decide to go earlier if it gets to much for her. She is well over normal retirement age for her role in the Civil Service and even for the stage mandatory age of 66.

I look forward to her being home permanently as I take her to and from work, as her driving licence was rescinded due to complications arising from her stroke, and she doesn't want the hassle of jumping through hoops to get it back.

We discuss these things regularly and both agree that despite the hoo hah in maintaining some personal restrictions, our health and well being are the important thing, so for us, the so called "freedom day" will mean little change. We have got used to precautions which have kept us safe, and are unwilling to be risk takers at the expense of our health.

I pray that common sense will apply to people receiving their freedom and we will not be exposed to the ongoing antics of those who protest that their freedoms are compromised by lockdown measures, or worse, deny the the virus exists and it is all a conspiracy, we've all had enough of them. :votive2: :votive2:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:47 am

So, the so called Freedom Day arrived last night at 23.45 hours. I note from the media that it was celebrated in quite a few places with people unmasking.

At a time when new infections are in the thousands daily, and hospitalizations are increasingly pressuring the NHS it all seems a bit silly. Law and compulsion has now become guidance with a footnote that if anything goes wrong it will be either your own fault or the fault of anyone by the government, who have abdicated their responsibility and passed it on to anyone but government authority.

We as I have said before will still be observing the main precautions previously legal, now optional. Nothing will make us relax our precautions, no matter what the government say.

So, prayers for this new scenario where everyone takes personal responsibility for protecting others and for those who believe it isn't their responsibility to protect others. :votive2: :votive2:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:37 am

It is now becoming clear that "freedom day" is unwinding a bit. For a start the PM is currently in Isolation along with the Chancellor and Mr Gove after attending a meeting with the new Health Secretary who tested positive.

In Isolation the PM has announced that from September all people entering places of mass entertainment such as night clubs will need to show evidence of two vaccinations (Vaccine Passport) and or a clear PCR test within 48 hours before then are able to attend, in the meantime, films in the media showing thousands crowding into those venues, which will continue without any checks or precautions until September.

There is additional confusion as overnight the introduction of an Enhanced Orange List+ for people returning, fully vaccinated from Orange list countries who could return without quarantine and now subject to quarantine, not planned for when they booked a holiday in good faith (and hope). France went on the unannounced list overnight and with others likely to be added soon.

Confusion between different parts of government on whether people who have been double vaccinated have to self isolate if they are pinged by the Covid AP or are contacted by the Covid Track and Trace service. Apparently if you are pinged by the app, it is at your discretion (not a legal requirement) whether or not you self isolate. While if you are contacted by the track and trace service it remains a legal requirement. But an exception can be made for key workers if they are on a certain list (not published) or if their employer intercedes on their behalf with a relevant government department dealing with their industry.

The government is allowing Churches to relax all of their precautions as long as a Covid Risk Assessment is completed to their guidelines, not legislation. Meanwhile the CofE has placed responsibility for covid precautions (or none) upon individual parish priest. We currently are consulting with PCC and Ministry team about this, with differences of opinion on full relaxation to maintenance of common sense precautions. The final decisions made place firmly on the shoulders of the incumbent. I am glad that I am not in their position at the moment.

I suspect that the government is relying on vaccination and summer vacations to stop the spread of the virus, or at least to reduce it's impact. However, their hopes are being dashed daily by spiralling of new infections, hospitalisations and some deaths, albeit they console themselves that deaths are much lower than in the previous waves, due to the vaccination effect? Although the evidence is that many of the deaths currently are from fully vaccinated groups.

We can only pray in hope that the Governments measures will work, the other scenario is to painful to contemplate. :votive1: :votive1:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Joe Parrish
Location: Antigua, New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

Post by Joe Parrish » Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:39 am

Peace and blessings,
Joe