Misuse of Personal Data

If you have an overwhelming urge to explore the weightier theological ideas, this is the place to seek fellow-travellers.
Ernest
Auxilium

Misuse of Personal Data

Post by Ernest » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:51 am

Been pondering on the issues facing those who gather personal data (mainly via social media) and who allow it to be sold or accessed by others, without the actual consent of the users whose data is being sold or exploited.

The latest laws in the UK, on this topic, will make it a criminal offence to do this, the GPD comes into effect on 1 May 2018, and this is replicated across Europe.

But protections have been in place, particularly in Europe for some years, but still data was collected, shared and exploited in clear breath of the duty of trust by the data collector and those they passed it on too.

I wonder where the ethical and moral responsibility has gone, where those who collect our data, which we provide in good faith, trusting that our privacy will be protected and how they can in good conscience share that data onwards, through what they describe as 'implied consent' not by us giving them permission direct to share that data?

The evidence is that that companies do what is called "Data Mining" for commercial purposes, such as electoral purposes, or for direct marketing etc, this has led to the situation where Facebook in particular and others stand accused of perverting fair and open elections and of causing all sorts of social and economic problems.

I don't have the answers, but the open questioning of Facebooks founder yesterday, revealed that many mistakes were made (in his words) not that they deliberately set out to do this? I have some reservations about that statement, which seems to avoid their own responsibility, and point the finger at someone else. Passing the buck is both immoral and avoids the accountability that they owe to their users and shareholders.

I like social media, but I don't like being exploited by those who hold the power in it. Either the companies need to get a grip, or they will be legislated out of existence.
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Caroline
Site Admin

Misuse of Personal Data

Post by Caroline » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:26 am

Just saying that it's the 25th of May, not the 1st!! We're working hard on this - not that your data has ever been used for anything other than its stated purpose, or ever put at risk on i-church. We do, however, have to change some things to be in line with the new guidelines.
Kindness is underrated.

Pam
Web Pastor

Misuse of Personal Data

Post by Pam » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:57 am

I can accept Mark Zuckerberg's statement that nobody decided to abuse Facebook users' trust, but for such a huge organisation to have no clear policies to prevent this seems negligent. He said himself that he founded and runs the company - maybe this is the problem, such a large company surely needs a management structure that supports the CEO in his decision making!

In terms of i-church, as Caroline says, we are working to be compliant with the new law, but there is nothing we are currently doing that would place members' data at risk. It's part of the business model of large social media platforms to allow third parties to gather data (though quizzes and so on), but this has never been a feature of i-church. We don't allow anyone to request member information (like posting a questionnaire) without clearing with us first. The Cambridge Analytica data was gathered largely through those 'fun' quizzes that claim to determine what sort of person you are - I've been really disciplined about not doing that kind of thing on FB since someone pointed out that it was a form of data mining. I'm also careful what I 'like', because 'liking' a page can give permissions to look at your account that you didn't intend to give.

If anyone has concerns, please feel free to contact me about it.

Ernest
Auxilium

Misuse of Personal Data

Post by Ernest » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:13 am

Hi Pam and Caroline

I have never been concerned about i-church gathering data.

Rather just pondering on the Facebook issues and the morality (and negligence) involved in allowing personal information to be 'mined' and used, despite protections and stated policies of lots of Social-Media platforms, that

"Your Privacy is Important to Us", which I have always been suspicious off.

I had known from my own background that security and safety on the internet can be a problem if you don't take precautions to protect your privacy. And I always have.

It is reassuring that I know that i-church is a safe place, and one that takes its members privacy seriously and actively protects it. :thumbs:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Pam
Web Pastor

Misuse of Personal Data

Post by Pam » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:01 pm

Good to hear that you consider i-church trustworthy, Ernest!

:thumbs: :flowerface: :angel:

rolyn

Misuse of Personal Data

Post by rolyn » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:02 pm

Some while back my partner and myself decided not to venture into either Facebook or Twitter.
When stories like this hit the news we tend to feel vindicated in that decision.
We do though use the Net in many other ways so just have to accept there is an element of risk, the same way as one accepts there are different risks in other walks of life, (road use for example).

It is reassuring to know that i-church takes this matter seriously and works to protect users privacy.