Editing a Parish Magazine

If you have an overwhelming urge to explore the weightier theological ideas, this is the place to seek fellow-travellers.
Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:34 am

The editor of our Parish Magazine moved to the South Atlantic for his work a month ago, leaving the post vacant. Somehow, I volunteered to take over. Despite having no experience of a magazine, I managed to produce a new copy for 1st of October, which is now printed and on sale.

The previous editor had sourced much material from a website called the Parish Pump and the wider church. I felt that while much of this was worthy, the use of material from external sources wasn't meeting the need of what is essentially an in house product.

I have deliberately refocused the content towards input from our parishioners as well as original content I had sourced. I am introducing features on the Life Events as the occasional offices are now described and also looking at specific events which affect the parish and our community where we are based. The magazine is sold outside the church itself so it is important that we reach out to others, particularly to our schools and uniformed organisations and those who come to our outreach activities such as coffee mornings, lunch club, art club and table tennis and pool club, many of whom have connections with the church through families and friends, even if they don't come regularly.

It is early days so far, but those who have read it, have praised my use of larger text (for the partially sighted) and I know that someone actually records the content on CD by reading the articles and passing them onto one or two who are actually registered blind.

So, does anyone have any tips for an aspiring editor which might assist me?
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Joyce

Post by Joyce » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:06 pm

The first tip that springs to mind is to get a volunteer, or perhaps a group of volunteers, who can spell and punctuate to read the articles through and make corrections before they go to print. Little mistakes can be very distracting for reasders.We all make typos so it's always a good idea to ask someone else to proof-read one's work.

Congratulations on your new task.

Joe Parrish
Location: Antigua, New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

Post by Joe Parrish » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:47 pm

Hi Ernest,
My suggestions are to keep it simple and to the point. Long essays probably will be read by a few, but three or four short sentences or less can usually get the idea across to most people. The text type I have been told that is most easy readable is serif Times Roman, not sans serifs. The other point that the leader of the newsletter adviser told us was to let the right margins be ragged, not use the spread out type that makes the right margins even. That does indeed increase readability it seems to my eye. Don't be tempted to be a fixed right margin newspaper but a news letters that is more reader friendly. Avoid controversy; let the Vicar take on that responsibility. And get the Vicar to have a regular column.
Blessing on your new endeavor; also, be aware of finding a replacement or someone who can fill in for you from time to time--keep training others so you can move to other more productive uses of your talents.
Peace and blessings,
Joe

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:46 pm

Thanks both of you. Helpful.

I did in fact get two people to check for errors and was able to correct them before publication. We have a circulation of about 70, and a few more who get a PDF copy.

October was issued today and I have had some good feedback. Next months magazine is on the starting blocks and I already have content lined up with Remembrance, top of the list. Followed by a Patronal of All Saints.

I am doing this on a temporary basis until someone comes forward. And in three years time when the old editor returns, he will take it back. He is in the South Atlantic on a work contract.

It is a vehicle for Mission, so the Vicar provides a writeup and I wrote an editorial so getting the message across, hopefully.'
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Joe Parrish
Location: Antigua, New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

Post by Joe Parrish » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:32 pm

Maybe you can work in a 'plug' for i-church? :)
Peace and blessings,
Joe

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:41 am

Now, there is a thought. :bye:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:33 am

Plaudits received from the previous editor of our parish magazine in the South Atlantic. I sent them a PDF copy.

They have settled in well and seem to be enjoying living in a small Island Community in St Helena. Exploring Anglican Churches and the Cathedral, which is apparently the size of our Parish Church here in Belvedere.

Another Church still in use has no roof, facilities etc, but is still consecrated and is used in the Summer. Not sure, given the wild weather they sometimes have, that I would want to worship in the open air?

Now have the November magazine on the go and want to get it finished before the 30 October deadline. Someone else does the printing so my job ends there, distribution is simple via the Church and Hall. Now need to sort out the advertising.
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!