The absolute Truth

If you have an overwhelming urge to explore the weightier theological ideas, this is the place to seek fellow-travellers.
kimliz

The absolute Truth

Post by kimliz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:51 pm

So who's done their own research, spiritual and physical and come up with an absolute, without doubt Truth?

It would be a good topic to discuss as there seems to be alot of different belief systems on this ste.

Ernest
Auxilium

The absolute Truth

Post by Ernest » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:06 pm

I would hesitate to say that I or anyone has the 'absolute' truth, although, as a Christian, I believe in Jesus Christ and his teachings as the 'Word of God'.

Many will claim to have the absolute truth, but I believe that they are mistaken. Many will have part of the truth, but are convinced that they have the only answers. But the sheer diversity of Christian denominations demonstrates to me that it's not that simple.

I believe that many will hold part of the truth, but no single entity has the whole truth, apart from God himself.

The beauty of this for me is that the mystery, awe, Glory and wonder of God keeps me on my toes in terms of wanting to know more about the wonderful infiniteness and to experience his love and action in my life and of all of us her on earth.
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Caroline
Site Admin

The absolute Truth

Post by Caroline » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:12 pm

I absolutely agree with you Ernest. We can move towards the truth, and catch glimpses of it, but it is so much greater than we are, so much bigger, so far beyond our human comprehension, that we are not going to grasp it in its fulness in this life.

Paul said "For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I will know fully, even as I was also fully known." (I Corinthians 13:12)

But in consolation for that present lack of understanding he added: "But now faith, hope, and love remain—these three. The greatest of these is love." (I Corinthians 13:13)

Love is the closest thing to the truth that we can know. It gives us a glimpse of the truth and reality of God.
Kindness is underrated.

rolyn

The absolute Truth

Post by rolyn » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:50 pm

Caroline wrote:
Love is the closest thing to the truth that we can know. It gives us a glimpse of the truth and reality of God.
I agree with that . Though Love itself can be a many and varied thing . It is something on which volumes have been written , it is something we have pondered from since the time we've been able to ponder.

Jesus said " We must love one another as we we love ourselves" .
When we look at ourselves and the history of Humanity we can see this isn't as straightforward as it sounds. It can elude us, often spectacularly, despite the presence of organised religion .

Accepting the truth being dependant on love, I guess it is only by having a 'one to one' with Jesus, and being helped to discover the true manner in which we love ourselves, (or indeed the manner we may not love ourselves), that will lead us anywhere near absolute Truth.

Glimpses yes, but I wonder if a life-time in this realm, no matter how long, isn't long enough to really know absolute Truth

truthseeker

The absolute Truth

Post by truthseeker » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:33 pm

From Ernest:

" The beauty of this for me is that the mystery, awe, Glory and wonder of God keeps me on my toes in terms of wanting to know more about the wonderful infiniteness and to experience his love and action in my life and of all of us her on earth. "

Thank you, this is beautifully said.

Ernest
Auxilium

The absolute Truth

Post by Ernest » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:44 am

Why thank you truth seeker :thumbs:

God is so good, I can't get enough of him :biggrin:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Glo
Auxilium

The absolute Truth

Post by Glo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:35 am

I think it is impossible for a human mind to fully understand and grasp divine truth. We come up with our religious frameworks and understandings, but my guess is that all religions/philosophies fall short of the truth and that none understand God fully.

I am reminded of 1 Corinthians 13:12

"For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."
A little lost in the world.

truthseeker

The absolute Truth

Post by truthseeker » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:47 pm

I read a lot of spiritual things every day - Christian and non-christian and still feel i lack a lot of feeling firmly established on the way of my spiritual understanding; often i just want to feel, feel, feel this so much-talked about Spirit but I don't;

however Spirit do comes to me as a feel occasionally or as a thought in my head, but not when I expect it. It often comes if I worry for something - suddenly God's reassuring presence comes in me and i have the thought: Don't worry, you know I am with you little one...

often He calls me "little one". Despite being adult may be spiritually I am still immature, as Paul said we still feed on spiritual baby's milk.

I often think what Truth is for me: to know everything about God, to have God's mind in me or to know everything about reality - realities....Very difficult task it is for me and drains me more for now than to recharge me.

Coriander

The absolute Truth

Post by Coriander » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:04 pm

Well Jesus did say that if we continue in his words we would know the truth and the truth would set us free. So for me as long as I read scripture and pray for understanding I feel sure God will answer.

:reading:
Truth after all is where one is standing. There were four gospel writers and all saw Jesus for real, but each one has a different perspective of the truth. It still is truth.

In the same way surely we all see God as through a opaque glass, but only when we see him out of this world will we know him as he is. It seems God made it so we need each other as we all have a different type of glass, so we see different aspects of him.......

Ernest
Auxilium

The absolute Truth

Post by Ernest » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:57 pm

Hi Coriander,

I agree that the Gospels writers share the truth and reading across the Gospels with Acts, the Various letters from Paul, Peter, John and James gives you a pretty good handle on the New Testament.

The problems between various denominations (or brands) of Christianity, is that some believe that they possess the truth and that every one else is either heretical or in error. Which can make life difficult when communicating with other Christians.

I read a book 'Discovering the Narrow Path' by Graham Standish
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Discovering-Nar ... 0664224512

He points out that things that I speak of above. And his summary in chapter one of the book is illuminating for me, and speaks volumes about walking that tightrope of understanding and belief, keeping Jesus as our centre of gravity, while wobbling from side to side towards one idea or another postulated in scripture or it's interpretation. Maintaining our balance is so important.

"Walking the narrow path, then, is like walking a tightrope; we must struggle to keep balance in our lives. We have to trust in God to keep us up, especially when we are about to fall. We have to trust that the rope will lead towards God, just as it comes from God. We also have to trust that as we continue our walk and gain experience, we will form a natural ability to keep our balance, especially in the midst of the storms and winds of life that threaten to blow us off the line. Walking the narrow path is a walk of faith into the unknown, trusting in the great “I AM WHO I AM” to guide us, to lead us, hold us, protect us and walk with us".
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!