New Members Guide on Worship Services.

This forum contains a record of some of the music, videos and images that have been used during services in the i-church Chapel.

This forum contains a record of some of the services that have been held in the i-church Chapel, with music and videos that can be played again.

If you would like to attend anything in the Chapel or chatroom, you will be very welcome. Click on the 'Chapel' link at the top of the page and follow the instructions for setting up chatroom account. Please note that this is in addition to your Courtyard account!
Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:33 pm

Here is a new members guide on how worship services are done.

i-church worship is for everyone no matter what your denomination, whether you have faith or if you are exploring faith.

You are very welcome to join us, even if you're a little late just come along and join us quietly, when you enter the chat room- Cafe, just come straight to the chapel and join in.

It would help us to start on time if folks could be there a couple of minutes early.

The resources may be made available here before and after the service. If you have a slow connection, you may want to come a little earlier so that you have already seen the resources.

When we come to use the resources(videos, music, etc) it would be helpful if you could indicate when you have finished watching or listening, perhaps by using a candle.

The Services normally last about 30 minutes. Sometimes the service may overrun, or special services may be a little longer. If you cannot stay for the whole service it's ok if you leave, everybody will understand.

If you are new you don't have to participate; you can observe and see how the Service is conducted.

The style of worship varies depending on who is leading. There is usually a reading from the bible, or other book, there maybe added music and/or pictures, there may be more prayers and a time for personal prayers.

There will be times throughout the service where you can join in by responding to a prayer or reading of some kind. When it is time for a response of a specific kind you will see an * at the beginning of the sentence. You can either type the sentence out or you can 'copy and paste' it, or if you cannot manage that you may just type a *. However, if you prefer, you may remain silent.

The person conducting the worship will usually ask whether you would like to offer some form of prayer, especially for example, if you have concerns for a person or situation which is worrying you or you might want to give thanks for something.

Often people pray in their own words when invited to join in. You do not have to offer a prayer, there is nothing wrong with just adding your Amens or a "candle" to the prayers of others.

After the Service you are very welcome to stay for a chat over a 'virtual' cup of coffee or tea. :tea: :cake:

We look forward to sharing the worship service with you.
Last edited by Caroline on Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Minor updates for the new chatroom.

Vignette

Post by Vignette » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:57 pm

I've waited having signed on as a new user and looked forward for the online service to happen for the last 2 days, but then I get in to the chapel, and it says I need a plug in. I install said java plug in and lo and behold I am still locked out. Looks like I've got to wait another week and have some help what to do. As a newbie please can I ask you make it clear ppl need this plugin before they can access service, at least a day before they need it, so they can install and check its working. Thanks. Otherwise like it is for me its a huge disappointment. :cry: :disappointed:

I'm just going round and round in circles, install plug in - you've already installed plug in - refresh page ->you need a plug in.

Emle

Post by Emle » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi Vignette ..I think if you just wait till five minutes before the service starts you might find you can enter the Chapel ..it does not open before then. So that will be 8.25 GMT

Please enter via the Chapel and chat link for tonights service
Hope this helps
Bless you
Emlex

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:44 pm

If you are having problems with the plugin that is a problem with your computer, and not with the site.

Most people already have Java installed - it is used widely across the internet - and it usually installs within a few minutes. It certainly should not take so long that it prevents you from joining the service.
Kindness is underrated.

Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:53 pm

Some browsers, eg Chrome, already have Java installed and so when you try to download it you get the message that it is already installed. I had quite a lot of trouble with this on one particular Java update and the only solution I could find was to use another browser - Firefox in my case - which allowed me to download Java and use it. I couldn't get into the chat room using Chrome at all until the next Java update came along.

If it isn't already installed into your browser, something else worth trying is to uninstall all previous versions of Java on your computer and then installing the most up to date version. This has helped me several times.

Java isn't an ideal basis for chat rooms, but it is better than all the alternatives at the moment, which is why most chat rooms run on it. But it can be a pain.

Vignette

Post by Vignette » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:13 pm

Thanks Pam for your info. I am using Firefox so no idea why it isn't working. It was a clean install of Java as the disk has recently been wiped for a major repair and I've had to reinstall most things.

I'm afraid I did miss all of the service, I just couldn't solve the problem which is why I was asking if you can as part of peoples joiining the site instructions tell them to check they have Java installed or the appropriate version and that its running on their computer OK I can assure you Caroline it really isn't long enough to do this before the beginning of the service or even whilst its happening, and neither have everybody got Java on their computers. I've been fiddling doing this install for well over an hour, stopping my virus and starting it again, and still can't get a good result . I really don't like to be difficult, I am all for making it easier for folks which is why I hope you will take up my suggestion about letting people know they need Java running to participate.

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:25 pm

The majority of people do have it on their computers already, because it is so widely used across the internet that they will already have had to install it, and the majority of people do not find it takes more than 5 minutes to install. You said that you have had your disk wiped and have been installing things from scratch - that is clearly not the situation for most people.

We have to give people a lot of information when they register, and I am quite sure that most people take very little notice of it. Adding yet more information that most people will not need would be counter-productive.
Kindness is underrated.

Jae
Auxilium

Post by Jae » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:41 pm

It's a shame that you missed the service tonight Vignette but as you managed to get along for a few minutes chat in the cafe afterwards it seems that you have resolved the problem yourself :thumbs:

We do ask people to come along to chapel a few minutes early for services so that they can check that everything is working well and hopefully you will find it much easier now :votive1:
In the triumph of prayer
Twofold is the spell.
With the folding of hands
There's a spreading of wings
And the soul's lifted up to invisible lands
And ineffable peace .....

Evelyn Underhill <><

Vignette

Post by Vignette » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:48 pm

I'd have to disagree with you about people having no problem installing Java. I just went to your ichurch cafe (another computer because I just can't get it to work on a clean install on my main computer) and several users just said there they had had a lot of problems installing it or finding a browser they could get to work with it. They also said about having lots of windows open doesn't help which I didn't know....

the other thing was I was just asking them in the Cafe how the service went and finding out the problems they had had with Java and their solutions and then mid flow the whole room closed before I had any infor about the service. Is that how iChurch operates normally - closes down chat rooms when there are folks still there? Seemed odd. Perhaps you can re-assure me. Are there any other chats open apart from bulletin boards like this now?

Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:57 pm

As I've said, Vignette, all the available chat rooms we might use operate on Java so there isn't a choice open to us other than to have a Java based chat room and try and help people iron out any problems they have.

Re the chat room shutting down - in order to maintain the chat room as a safe space we only open it for planned events when we can guarantee moderator cover. This does mean it closes after events.

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:59 pm

Java does cause problems, but these problems are not connected with installation. These are the problems Pam told you about a few posts ago. There is nothing we can do to prevent these from happening, and therefore there is nothing that could be added to the registration information. They are Java problems and not i-church problems. You will find them referred to all over the internet.

As with all programs it is necessary to ensure that they are kept up-to-date, but this is simply a matter of good computer maintenance. If a user has up-to-date Java on their system they will stand the best chance of being able to use the chatroom easily.

(cross-posted with Pam)
Kindness is underrated.

Vignette

Post by Vignette » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:28 pm

mmm I wasn't suggesting you give a warning to new people that for instance, if you do x Java won't work, or anything about problems with Java, just to let them know "you will need Java working on your computer when you enter the chapel in order to access the discussion/service" ..... but I can only make the suggestion

This was a first installation of Java on this computer in effect so it was the most up to date version. All my programmes I keep up to date with updates but Java still isn't working, but I do appreciate I will have to try and find solution.

I presume there are no chat rooms open then now?

Vignette

Post by Vignette » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:50 pm

thanks Jae.... I have still to solve the Java problem on this laptop. I had to use a secondary machine of mine to access the chat. thanks for the welcome. There's a chat tomorrow I gather any other times?

Jae
Auxilium

Post by Jae » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:44 pm

the times of services and social gatherings are at the top of the main page vignette on the notice board, but essentially there are two worship services per week and one social.

It's a good idea for new -and old - members to keep an eye on the notice board as this is where we will announce changes in times especially when the clocks change :thumbs:

other events are usually announced on the forums and will be added to the noticeboard if there is room :)
In the triumph of prayer
Twofold is the spell.
With the folding of hands
There's a spreading of wings
And the soul's lifted up to invisible lands
And ineffable peace .....

Evelyn Underhill <><