Pam's blog

Blog-style posting from our users.

This section is only for Blog posts. If you would like to blog, please start a topic with the title 'X's Blog', where 'X' is your username. Comments can be made as replies to the initial post, and subsequent blog entries should be made on the same thread to ensure continuity.

We will be installing new dedicated blogging software as soon as we can, but it is not currently available, unfortunately.

Our Blog Archive is still available for reading, here.
Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:13 am

I'm taking an idea from a friend and taking a photo a day during Lent on suggested themes
image.jpeg
I shall be using my phone camera, which is all I have. It's just a way of focussing on something creative and visual once a day. Am already wondering when today I'll have an opportunity to photograph 'gather'!

Caroline
Site Admin

Pam's blog

Post by Caroline » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:07 am

That sounds fascinating - I'll be checking in with interest! :thinking: (Already pondering 'gather' around here, and trying to stop looking at the gathers at the top of the curtains!)
Kindness is underrated.

Jennifer

Pam's blog

Post by Jennifer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:46 pm

Very good idea Pam :flowerface:

Caroline; Sheep gather, you could take a photo of your sheep neighbours(if they are stll very near to your house)? :biggrin:

Caroline
Site Admin

Pam's blog

Post by Caroline » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:52 pm

:biggrin: I have to admit, Jennifer, that I looked through the list wondering whether they could all be expressed by pictures of sheep... :holysheep:
Kindness is underrated.

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:07 pm

GATHER

Christmas presents waiting to be opened by my nieces when they visit their mother later this week
image.jpg

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:56 am

Day 2 of Lent photos - VOICE

Thinking about things that are good for voices - vitamin C in lemons and oranges, the enzymes in fresh pineapple (apparently) and honey. I once lost my voice so badly I couldn't talk at all. It was interesting to find out that most of the things I wanted to say didn't need saying!
Screen Shot 2016-02-12 at 01.55.38.png

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:12 pm

Day 3 of Lent photos - LOOK

Benjie is very good at giving me a 'look'!
image.jpeg

Caroline
Site Admin

Pam's blog

Post by Caroline » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:47 pm

That really is a Look with a capital L!
Kindness is underrated.

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:16 am

Day 4 of Lent photos - INJUSTICE
image.png
Lent photos day 4 - INJUSTICE

I couldn't think of a way of photographing injustice, so this is a bit of a cheat - a screenshot of a story about the treatment of Native Americans. It could just as well be any group who've been oppressed for the benefit of others, this story happened to have a striking picture.

It made me reflect how often 'natural justice' doesn't seem very well served by the 'justice system' we use to keep human societies in order. My understanding of God's justice from the bible is that it protect to the weak. 'Doing justly' means treating people as God would have us treat them.

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:29 am

Day 5 of Lent photos - CELEBRATE

Not a photo, but a picture created using the drawing function on my ipad, then edited in the picture software of my laptop.

Gave me a chance to think about what it meant to celebrate - particularly the family party for my 60th birthday next week!
IMG_0089.jpg

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:39 pm

Day 6 of Lent photos - SETTLE

The word evokes so many things - but the main one is the current orthodoxy about relationships with significant others that you must not 'settle' for someone who offers most of what you need, but hold out for someone who ticks every single box going.

What an imposition on someone to demand that they fulfil your every need, all the time!

Meanwhile, being settled can look very comfortable ... :)
IMG_0177.JPG

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:16 am

Day 7 of Lent photos - GO

Thunderbirds are go! As this chap on my bookshelf reminds me.

He was part of aChristmas present last year from a friend I've known since schooldays. We both loved Thunderbirds, for some odd reason!
image.jpeg

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:46 pm

Day 8 of Lent photos - MIGHTY

The Giant Sequoia tree grows from a very tiny seed. Yet it can grow to 300 feet tall, with a trunk nearly 40 feet in diameter.

Sequoia baby.jpg

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:04 pm

Lent photos day 9 - RETREAT

When I thought about the word 'retreat', it made me think of a small space I could hide in without being spotted - a 'den' in the bushes, or maybe behind the sofa, or in a clothes-horse tent. All good hiding places for a child, or a cat, but not so much for a grown up.

Thinking about time spent in hospital, it did have that same sense of being right away from where other people were getting on with their lives. I always knew I was on the mend when I started wanting to get out of hospital and back into the world. But that almost dreamlike state of being outside everyday life was almost healing, in its own way.
IMG_0233.JPG

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:53 am

Lent photos day 10 - LOVE

So hard to pick a picture to show this - just one picture. Love is about people - family and friends.

I've noticed that the best pictures I have of myself are those where I love and trust the photographer. This brings out a different side of me as I am not looking at the camera with distrust - What are you going to make me look like this time? - but at the person behind it.

God made each of us and loved us. We are 'fearfully and wonderfully made', according to Psalm 139.

What if we were to look out at the world, reflecting the love with which God looks at us? Would it amplify that love so that it changed how we see each other?
14544520844_e5f5dcfd84_z.jpg
Photo by Dea

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:32 pm

Lent photos day 11 - LIVE

I've been watching this tree out of the back window, where I sit to do my work, for the last few years, through the shedding of leaves, bare branches and regrowth.

The birds use the tree in all seasons.

This photo reminds me of what a young man in a bible study group in the young offenders institution said when he heard the parable of the mustards seed.

'I am one of the birds who roosts in the branches of the tree'.

He asked to be baptised, suddenly wanting to make a public commitment to God.
I hope wherever he is, he is still living in the light of God.
Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 23.32.52.png

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:53 pm

Lent photos day 12 - CELEBRATE

Slightly out of sync with life - my party was yesterday and my birthday is tomorrow. So here is a present - beautifully wrapped and left at my house by my brother to be passed on to our sister at Christmas.

Celebration is popular in our society - celebrities are people who are famous for being famous. But real celebration is something deeper. With a few years of really bad health recently, simply reaching 60 is something to celebrate!
image.jpeg

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:20 pm

Day 13 - VISION

Should have posted this yesterday, but couldn't think of a way of showing VISION in a photo.

Today I took this one in the garden - showing a shadow. The shadow I can see is nothing like the chair that it shows.
IMG_0254.JPG

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:22 pm

Lent photos day 14 - COVENANT

The rainbow - the sign of God's undertaking to Noah never to flood the world again.

Thanks to my friend Rachael for posting a lovely picture of a rainbow on Facebook for my birthday.
Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 21.07.30.png

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:39 am

Lent photos day 15 SHELTER

When next door's cat is staking out our garden, this is where Benjie hides. As soon as one of us comes to the door to let him in, Frank from next door scuttles back over the fence, and Benjie emerged triumphant. He goes in there to hide from the rain as well.
image.jpeg

Ernest
Auxilium

Pam's blog

Post by Ernest » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:54 am

We have foreign cats coming into the Garden, but ours just sit defiantly and stare them out.

We also have foxes coming in - and they don't bother each other, just keep a safe distance. And Sooty, our biggest cat is a bit bigger than the fox, so no contest. Size matters
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:34 am

Lent photos day 16 - JOY

I would love to develop a greater ability to enjoy.
IMG_0262.JPG

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:07 am

Lent photos - day 17 SEE

I'm fascinated by doorways with a view into a landscape, probably influenced by my early love of the Alice[/] books.

This was taken on retest at Boar's Hill in Oxford. When I took it, I could only see the doorway into the sunny garden. The hallway, with handrails and door, only became visibly to me when I looked at the photo.

Our senses are amazing - we can tune out distractions to focus on the thing we're paying attention to.

Screen Shot 2016-02-27 at 01.06.15.png

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:14 am

Rather busy over the weekend as I was preaching at a local church, so three blog posts all at once today to catch up!

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:18 am

Lent photos day 18 - HEAL

The healing power of sticking plasters and 'magic cream'! I don't think I could have got through my children's childhood without them
Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 00.17.43.png