homeless

Post your prayers here
Jae
Auxilium

homeless

Post by Jae » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:11 am

for everyone sleeping rough wherever they are in the world, especially through winter weather.

for those that work to support them

:votive1: :votive1: :votive1:
In the triumph of prayer
Twofold is the spell.
With the folding of hands
There's a spreading of wings
And the soul's lifted up to invisible lands
And ineffable peace .....

Evelyn Underhill <><

Ernest
Auxilium

homeless

Post by Ernest » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:30 am

Amen :votive1: :votive1:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

hench1

homeless

Post by hench1 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:02 am

God bless them and give them hope
:votive1:

Caroline
Site Admin

homeless

Post by Caroline » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:57 pm

:votive2: :votive2: :votive2:
Kindness is underrated.

Josie

homeless

Post by Josie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:23 pm

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.

truthseeker

homeless

Post by truthseeker » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:56 pm

:votive2: :votive2: :votive2:

Jennifer

homeless

Post by Jennifer » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:37 pm

Jae wrote:for everyone sleeping rough wherever they are in the world, especially through winter weather.

for those that work to support them

:votive1: :votive1: :votive1:
Amen :votive1:

Isobel
previously IMR

homeless

Post by Isobel » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:53 pm

langstone drifter

homeless

Post by langstone drifter » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:53 pm

Ros

homeless

Post by Ros » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:28 pm

:votive1: :votive1:

Pam
Web Pastor

homeless

Post by Pam » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:42 am

Northern Christian

homeless

Post by Northern Christian » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:42 pm

The homeless, especially during this cold spell. We give thanks to all the agencies who help the homeless, not only during the winter months but all year round. Providing shelter, food / drink, medical advise and support.

:votive1: :praying: :votive1:

Joe Parrish
Location: Antigua, New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

homeless

Post by Joe Parrish » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:41 am

Do UK churches ever house homeless folk? We have about 14 churches around us who do that during the winter for about 10-20 each night on a rotating basis. We had a homeless lady die on a nearby church's steps during the winter a few years ago, and we decided that should not happen again. So far by the grace of God we've been able to continue housing them. But it seemed to take a death to bring us to rethink what we should be doing. Our own church houses the homeless during the daylight hours for two Sundays a month because we can't afford to heat our facilities at night. So prayers are arising for a solution for the homeless, wherever they are.
Peace and blessings,
Joe :praying:
Peace and blessings,
Joe

Ernest
Auxilium

homeless

Post by Ernest » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:01 pm

Joe,

There are many examples of Churches in the UK doing exactly that. In London particularly, but also further afield. In London, St Martins in the Fields is the most well known, but other such at St Giiles in Holborn also provide this type of outreach.

In Tonbridge Wells in Kent., Churches together take it in turns to provide food, shelter, medical services and advice to the homeless. A similar scheme operates in Canterbury in the winter from St Martins, close to the Cathedral.

I'm sure that there are many more. A local church close to me has just set up a food bank. Another, working with Baptists and Methodists provides advice and guidance to the homeless and sometimes uses it's church hall for them to sleep over.

All of this activity has multiplied over recent years as the recession has hit hard, and government policies has caused ever increasing homelessness by the removal or reduction in housing benefits - it's never ending I'm afraid.
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Isobel
previously IMR

homeless

Post by Isobel » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:50 pm

Joe Parrish
Location: Antigua, New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

homeless

Post by Joe Parrish » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:37 pm

I have taken the liberty to try to move this discussion over to the 'Blog' section of i-church courtyard in the topic called "Housing the homeless - what role can we take?" Please look there now. We really need to focus on Prayer here in the Prayer forum. Thanks!
Peace and blessings,
Joe :)
Ernest wrote:Joe,

There are many examples of Churches in the UK doing exactly that. In London particularly, but also further afield. In London, St Martins in the Fields is the most well known, but other such at St Giiles in Holborn also provide this type of outreach.

In Tonbridge Wells in Kent., Churches together take it in turns to provide food, shelter, medical services and advice to the homeless. A similar scheme operates in Canterbury in the winter from St Martins, close to the Cathedral.

I'm sure that there are many more. A local church close to me has just set up a food bank. Another, working with Baptists and Methodists provides advice and guidance to the homeless and sometimes uses it's church hall for them to sleep over.

All of this activity has multiplied over recent years as the recession has hit hard, and government policies has caused ever increasing homelessness by the removal or reduction in housing benefits - it's never ending I'm afraid.
Sounds like wonderful ministry is going on, at least in some places, somewhat like the US, but we still are quite spotty. We received that 'wake up call' that really got us going. We do not need more frozen sickly people to do that for the rest of us. Specifically at the urging of the churches, our city and county in New Jersey now calls 'Code Blue' when the temperatures go below freezing, and all available shelters, police stations, and even hospital emergency rooms take in the homeless even if they only have chairs for them to sit in, especially if any snow or ice is involved.
The churches just chug along housing and feeding more or less the same homeless crew week after week during the winters. We really are not solving the perennial homeless problem here in the US--for example there are now 'officially' 60,000 homeless in New York City, probably actually many more, and that has been pretty much constant and of course spreading outward to the suburbs of every city since the federal government stopped building public housing during the Reagan administration in the early 1980's. The backlog of needed public housing construction is absolutely staggering here.
Thanks for your update, Ernest! :)
Peace and blessings,
Joe :)
Peace and blessings,
Joe