Strange place to Pray

Post your prayers here
Ernest
Auxilium

Strange place to Pray

Post by Ernest » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:57 pm

I was waiting to meet someone this morning, he was late, and I had some time on hand.

Some time ago, I had downloaded and printed a text of the 1928 BCP Communion Service, which had been annotted with explanatory notes. I took is out to read it, and was enjoying the language and the content when I found myself actually reading the Prayers of the Service to myself aloud (inside, if you know what I mean).

This was a new experience for me, what I thought would be a quiet browse through a text, which interested me, became an ad-hoc of the cuff, personal prayer session.

Considering that I was sitting in a Bar (albeit, with a cup of tea), I was surprised and delighted to be able to pray in that way. So, you never know when or where you will get the call!! :lovedrops:

Perhaps thinking about God in the context of the text I was reading was the trigger for my Prayers, whatever it was, I am not complaining.

So my question would be, have you ever been overtaken by Prayer, when least expecting it?

:Christmas: :Christmas: :Christmas:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Caroline
Site Admin

Re: Strange place to Pray

Post by Caroline » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:22 pm

I used to talk to God when I was driving to and from work - 15 miles each way, and mostly on quiet country roads. It worked very well.
Kindness is underrated.

Jae
Auxilium

Post by Jae » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:35 pm

Walking into town and back ... walking and praying just seem to go nicely together for me :minicandle:
In the triumph of prayer
Twofold is the spell.
With the folding of hands
There's a spreading of wings
And the soul's lifted up to invisible lands
And ineffable peace .....

Evelyn Underhill <><

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:03 pm

I just felt overcome by Prayer, which is an experience I had not had before. Lots of new things happening, and it seems to be I am getting the message. I just wish I could make it out!! :holysheep:

:Christmas: :Christmas: :Christmas: :cold:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Glo
Auxilium

Post by Glo » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:26 pm

I sometimes feel am urge to pray for people as I go shopping thought the supermarket aisles.
So much abundance, so many blessings ... how often do we really stop to appreciate them?
A little lost in the world.

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:49 pm

Glo wrote:I sometimes feel am urge to pray for people as I go shopping thought the supermarket aisles.
I go shopping and actually pray for people, particularly those rude ones, who are in such a rush, that they virtually push you out of their way, or hit you with their trolleys. I always stand aside for people, wanting to go past, but rarely get an acknowledgement or thank you. :frown:

I know that we are all under pressure these days, but I was brought up to believe that Manners Cost nothing, and politeness and courtesy, makes for a better society. I find it sad when people forget their manners. :sad:

I recall an occasion, when some one having barged past me, than said EXCUSE ME loudly, as if I had not stood aside from them. I think that when I said equally loudly, NO PROBLEM, it made them realise that perhaps they are not the most important person in the world, and they had the grace to apologise. :thumbs:

I agree that Supermarkets are a mark of a society which has so much abundance available to it, for which we should give thanks. However, there is enormous waste as well, and with so much hunger and poverty in the world (and even in this country), I sometimes wonder about the morality of it all. :thinking:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

enyaj

Post by enyaj » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:10 pm

Glo wrote:
I sometimes feel am urge to pray for people as I go shopping thought the supermarket aisles.
So much abundance, so many blessings ... how often do we really stop to appreciate them?
Jae wrote:
I used to talk to God when I was driving to and from work - 15 miles each way, and mostly on quiet country roads. It worked very well.

Caroline wrote:
This is really to be encouraged and to be extended into other areas of life. It is something that comes naturally to some people, they find themselves praying in different situation, sometimes they continue it, sometimes it is allowed to die. When St Francis found this happening he was amazed, and embraced it joyfully.

Jayne (in Aroha, Hope, and Love. ) nz

. * . (\ *** /) * . You may be disapointed
* . * ( \(_)/ ) * * if you fail, but you are
. . (_ /||\_) . * doomed if you don't try
* . /____\ *..*
Last edited by Pam on Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: email address removed