Hard drive failure and tech problems

Post your prayers here
Beth

Post by Beth » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:57 pm

Ah, now I've done a silly thing. I've put off backing up data for weeks because I felt too busy to do it. Truth is, I have been busier than usual. I have tackled personal monsters and dealt with the pushback over that, joined new groups, had numerous meetings with various people, and tried dozens of new activities which required changes to the daily routine.

Well done me. But now I have no laptop and not much backed up. This throws up some deeper issues:

- I have anxiety over daily routines, and it can be crushing
- I am not good at prioritising habitual tasks due to emotional overwhelm
- I often feel looking back on the past doesn't make me happy, which is no motivation to back up data
- I am having financial problems because I have been out of work too long.
-Pushing myself to do more is helping me imagine a future with me in it, but also causes stress on the bank balance, causing me to cut corners and pursue change over stability
- I'm not sure anymore if my daily routine online is helping or hindering my grasp of reality
-My interpersonal relationships are still very insecure and I rely on digital media to 'mediate' between me and the world a lot
- I may have been a little self-punishing over this because I knew very well I should have backed up this time
-I have a strong desire to conform to expectations of me I perceive from others and this can sometimes lead to self neglect in areas like organisation and planning
- When I do back up I strongly fear people snooping through files, which does, in actual fact, happen to me often without backing up

Please can you help me by saying a prayer for these issues? Obviously I will try and get the data back before I send off for a free repair quote from the manufacturer. I have a strong suspicion that I'm a person who likes to believe they have chosen to travel lite in life.

But is that really true??? Ah, reality bytes!

The one time I did back up data completely the external hard drive also failed. Terrible luck! Ha!

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:17 pm

I have a drawer full of hard drives from previous laptops, where the laptop has failed, but fortunately the data on the hard drive has been intact. I have put these drives into cases (very cheap from Amazon), and they function as external drives. I hope that at the very worst you can do that.

:votive1: :votive1: :votive1:
Kindness is underrated.

Joyce

Post by Joyce » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:17 pm

I was just about to say what Caroline's said. I've bought enclosures for 99p from sellers on eBay, although they could cost up to £2.99. They usually have arrived by the next post.
You should be able to plug an enclosure ( aka 'caddy' although a caddy is really something else ) into whatever computer you get the chance to use, the same way you do with a ready-made external hard drive. Later, the contents can be transferred to a new computer if desirable.
On rare occasions a clattering sound from the hard drive can mean it's on the way out. I don't know whether clicking is a precursor to clattering.
I find it's usually cheaper to buy from the 'Cheap Laptops' section of eBay than to pay for a repair.

Will keep all your issues in prayer.

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:37 am

I echo both Caroline and Joyce - I do exactly that with old hard drives.

And I do backup occasionally, but not often enough : :snooze:

:votive1: :votive1: Prayers that the drive can be salvaged.
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Emle

Post by Emle » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:57 am

:votive1: :votive1: :votive1:

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:02 am

:votive1: :votive1: