New Bishop of London

Post your prayers here
Pam
Web Pastor

New Bishop of London

Post by Pam » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:37 am

It has been announced this morning that the new Bishop of London will be the Right Reverend Sarah Mullally, who is currently the Bishop of Crediton in Devon.

The Bishop of London is considered the third most senior clergy post in the Church of England, behind the two Archbishops of Canterbury and York. Bishop Sarah will therefore be the most senior ordained woman in the C of E.

Bishop Sarah has had a distinguished career in the National Health Service before and after being ordained. She says of her appointment:
I made a commitment to follow Jesus Christ as a teenager. As one hymn puts it, I found in him my Star, my Sun. I look forward to sharing that good news with others as I come to London.

Before becoming a priest, I was a nurse and then the Government’s Chief Nursing Officer for England. People ask what it is like to have had two careers. I reply that I have always had one vocation – to follow Jesus Christ, to know him and to make him known.

For me that means living in the service of others.

Washing feet is a powerful image which has shaped my life.

As a nurse, the way we wash feet affords dignity, respect and value. As a priest I am called to model Jesus Christ, who took off his outer garments and washed his disciples’ feet, even the one who would betray him.

I keep that model of service before me, seeking to serve others and value them.
Please keep Bishop Sarah and the Diocese of London in your prayers.

More about Bishop Sarah here.

Joe Parrish
Location: New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

New Bishop of London

Post by Joe Parrish » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:38 pm

The Diocese of London also has an 'internet church':

http://londoninternetchurch.org.uk/

Peace and blessings,
Joe
Peace and blessings,
Joe

Ernest
Auxilium

New Bishop of London

Post by Ernest » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:23 pm

As a Londoner (albeit I no longer live in London itself) I am grateful that this appointment overturns the whole house of cards that have preserved an artificial discrimination against the ministry of Women as priest, as the +Richard did Ordain them as Deacon, but not as Priest.

I know that there was a hope among the traditionalists in London, that the new Bishop should maintain that state of affairs, and I am delighted that they were ignored.

Gender discrimination has no place in the Church and this perhaps might spell the end of it. Not overnight, but certainly as the Spirit blows longer and wider among the people in those places which maintain the Gender resistance. :thumbs: :cross:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Jae
Auxilium

New Bishop of London

Post by Jae » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:55 pm

For Bishop Sarah and London :votive1: :votive1: :votive1:

And for another step forward in gender equality in the Church of England :votive1: :votive1: :votive1:
In the triumph of prayer
Twofold is the spell.
With the folding of hands
There's a spreading of wings
And the soul's lifted up to invisible lands
And ineffable peace .....

Evelyn Underhill <><

Emle

New Bishop of London

Post by Emle » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:18 am

Jae wrote:For Bishop Sarah and London :votive1: :votive1: :votive1:

And for another step forward in gender equality in the Church of England :votive1: :votive1: :votive1:
:votive1: