Finding Time for Prayer

Post your prayers here
Ernest
Auxilium

Finding Time for Prayer

Post by Ernest » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:36 pm

I know how precious time is for busy people. I want to find a routine for prayer that allows me to take time out of a busy schedule, to find some stillness and quiet to pray.

I can pray during Car journeys, as I travel many miles a week, several thousand a month. But the concentration is not I feel sufficient to make me feel that I am giving it the attention is deserves.

At other times I pray as and when I can, on an ad hoc basis, but have found the best time for private prayer is before sleep. I often pray for some time than, going over the day and things that I have said and done. I often drift off in the middle of it, but I feel that this is a good way of going to sleep.

I have copies of evening prayer and night prayer which I often read, again they were written for this purpose and I find them a consolation if I cannot pray independently for any reason.

What I am looking for is a strategy, to make prayer a regular part of my work and home life, which is effective for me.

Can anyone make any suggestions? :notworthy:

Ernest
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Glo
Auxilium

Re: Finding Time for Prayer

Post by Glo » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:15 am

I often pray in the car too.

I try to get up half an hour before anybody else to have some time for Bible reading and prayer. I find that helps me focus on the day ahead.
I also like to pray whilst I am walking. I try to go out for a walk in my lunch break, or sometimes in the evenings.
A little lost in the world.

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:24 pm

Glo,

I will think about one or two of your suggestions. The car is the most practical one, but concentration on driving (I do a lot around the M25) is necessary (due to other drivers) therefore, it is really on early morning trips to work down the M2 that I find the time.

Going for walks is difficult, I rarely have time for lunch, just a cup of tea and sometimes a short read of the paper. Perhaps I need to stretch this a little. What I am looking for is a discipline (a bit like Reading the Daily Office) but with more flexibility and relevance to my personal situation.

I have looked online for a CofE Brievary, but they do not exist as a single, pocket sized document. There are Benedictine ones available, but that is to out of reach at the moment. I was given a copy of the New Testament at my Confirmation, which I can use for part of the purpose. I have also collected a number of prayers from the ijesus web site and printed them in a booklet. These are helpful.

I always feel that I am missing something but being open to direct dialoge with jesus in private prayer is the way that I most feel at home. It is some way of enhancing this that I really want.

I suppose I will need to keep seeking until I find what I need. :holysheep:

Ernest :tea:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Glo
Auxilium

Post by Glo » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:31 am

True about the driving, Ernest.
Don't ever wave your arms about and shout 'Halleluia' whilst driving!!
Purely low-key, gentle praying only ... :laugh:

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:46 am

And don't close your eyes while driving and praying! :snore: :blink: :laugh:

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:03 pm

Lucky I don't really use Halluja in my driving prayers. I was thinking of getting scrolling prayers on my screen, i am sure the technology is out there, I just need how to use it. :holysheep:

And as far as closing my eyes, the ones in the back of my head can be closed momentarily, while my normal ones are wide open :lol:

Still, no nearer reaching what I want, a Prayer routine relevant to me.

Will keep trying.

Ernest :tea: :tea: :tea: :tea: :tea:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

BabsUK

Post by BabsUK » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:52 am

Ernest, i'm more than happy to meet up in the chapel for open non lead prayer, we could meet on a regular basis see what God is doing in our lives. :minicandle:

The main problem I have is that i work shift work and never really know when I’m around, however, having said that i'm always available on a Friday Evening.
:spin:

If you or others would like to meet up for regular open prayer, I’ll be there on a Friday evening from 19.30pm. :thumbs:

We could start this Friday 21st? :praying:
Nothing is impossible

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:29 pm

Barbara,

Sound ok to me. Friday evening should be free

Ernest :thumbs:

Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:11 am

Meeting for open prayer sounds good. :flowerface:

I'm keen not to overburden Barbara or anyone else at the moment so I'd like to keep such meetings informal and not part of the regular schedule at the moment.

Jae and I have been looking at and will continue looking at how the worship schedule should run and will be consulting Barbara and others who have a particular style of worship they want to offer as part of that.

There's quite a long history here of locking people into rigid worship schedules which become a burden to all concerned. I think something more flexible and responsive might be a better way forward. As part of this we want to do a worship survey to find out what people really think about what we should offer, so any thoughts you have on what we might ask would be very welcome.

If I'm not able to make it say one for me as I have a big meeting on Monday to prepare for at C of E HQ about Internet church and I want to give a good impression of i-church.

BabsUK

Post by BabsUK » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:23 pm

Hi Pam

Dont worry - its not a 'service' just a time of informal prayer for each other. :thumbs:
and we will be holding you in our prayers for your meeting too :minicandle:
Nothing is impossible

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:44 pm

Hi Pam and Barbara,

This was an intiative by Barbara for which I am most grateful, in response to my question about finding a routine for Prayer to suit my needs. I am available this Friday evening, but will not be next due to organising and helping in a Memorial Service for an Afghan Casualty.

I think that I have posted elsewhere about my wish to learn and grow in faith and prayer. Unless I take the opportunities offered, I could be missing out on a whole aspect of prayer, which I would not even know I am missing.

I can assure you both, that I would not wish to be in a rigid worship pattern, as I could not hope to meet it. I will always attend my Parish on Sundays and weekdays when I am able, but always got for different services (there are 5 churches in the Benifice to choose from) to broaden my knowledge and faith.

Eventually, I would like to contribte more, but for the time being, it is difficult to offer much more than Prayer, and participation in i-church.

Ernest :cross:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:20 pm

I'm not worried Babs, but I do want to make sure that we don't build up the same pressures the worship team were under before.

The chapel has always been available for informal prayer where 2 or more are gathered - or even one on their own - and it's great for that to be happening. :)

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:42 pm

Pam,

thank you

Ernest :thumbs:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

enyaj

Post by enyaj » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:54 am

Earnest wrote:
Why not let God be part of your driving? Let Him look through your eyes and direct your driving related thoughts straight to Him. That way you can concentrate on both things. Remember, when you pray He already knows what you are going to say, He knows your needs, and He knows your wants. :praying:
Jayne( in aroha, hope and Faith ) nz

* . (\ *** /) * .* On the eight day
* . * ( \(_)/ ) * *When it was time to circumcise Him
* * (_ /||\_) . * He was named Jesus.
* *. /____\ * * * Luke 2:21 (NIV)

Karen

Post by Karen » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:26 pm

I used to put a lot of miles in with a job which took me all over the country.

I never, ever split my concentration on driving with anything else as it is just too dangerous.

A very wise priest once suggested that I find a routine at the begining of the day where I could commit the day to God and spend a very few minutes in silence with Him. It could be waiting for the kettle to boil or putting the keys in the ingition and waiting for the car to warm up. That way simple acts prompt prayer and you use 100% if your attention when drivng to watch out for black ice :cold: , stray sheep :holysheep: and drivers who shoulnd't be allowed out without speed limiters :devil:
Ying tong yiddle I po...

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:01 pm

enyaj wrote:
Earnest wrote:
Why not let God be part of your driving? Let Him look through your eyes and direct your driving related thoughts straight to Him. That way you can concentrate on both things. Remember, when you pray He already knows what you are going to say, He knows your needs, and He knows your wants. :praying:[/justify]

Jayne,

I think perhaps, while this is an aspiration, I could not hope to meet it. Driving as I do, mainly around the M25 and the home counties, requires extreme concentration, due to the high volume of traffic, the number of motorists who believe that they have priority and those who are just pure dangerous. I to concentrate for my own and others safety.

That said, I have experimented with saying familiar prayers, such as the Lords Prayer softly and slowly pondering on the meanings and underlying theology (I have been studying that aspect) which appears not to distract me to much, especially when I am travelling early morning or late evening, when not so many road hogs are around.

I agree with Karen's idea, of perhaps dedicating the day to God, before the start of the journey, which allows me to pray through both thoughts and actions. Which seems to be the practical solution to my question on Finding Time for Prayer.

:welcome: :sheep:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Lavender

Post by Lavender » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:56 pm

Thought I might share what I'd posted at another site (it's subject was entitled "First Fruits") and it contains mostly my own frustration at not spending enough time with my Creator. Another member calls it the "tithe of time".
I've heard so many CHRISTians complain (yes let's call it what it is) about being too busy to spend time with YHVH. Apparently their (my) lives are so full from the choices they make that YHVH doesn't even make it to the "b" list. "I'll get around to it when I have more time"..."I'll get to it when I've retire"...I'll spend time with Him when I'm less busy"...etc etc. Yet, their (my) lives continue with busyness.
It's come to my attention that MY busyness is of my own making....that I had chosen not to spend time with Him due to (pick any number of excuses). I've confused busyness....even Kingdom busyness with bearing good fruit. It's not part of bearing good fruit...it's just being too busy to incorporate GOD first! Shouldn't time be part of our "first fruits"? If we give all our first fruits to the Lord then why not our time? What other commodity do we have that is any more precious then that? You can't retrieve time or change history. You can choose to give YHVH the first fruits of your time(day). It's really to benefit ourselves (and those around us).
Well...that's my thought for today.
I used to daily walk first thing with the Lord and my days were good (full of peace) no matter what the circumstances happen to be. I'd stop doing that regularly and wondered why I'd felt so disconnected and lacked the peace that only Christ can give. Probably needless to say but am now back first thing (no matter how early it has to be) to spend time with Him before the rest of my day starts. I do spend time in prayer throughout the day as the situation dictates but that first bit is the best part.
Group prayer is fine but it isn't what brings me closer to Christ. That "one on one" time is what does it for me (perhaps it works differently for others).
For me, GOD the Father is exactly that. He is my Dad (with a capital D). I consider what our earthly dads would want to hear. Would your dad want to hear directly from your heart or something from another child? Would you want someone to read a premade card to you or speak to you from their own heart? Guess it's just a pet peeve of mine. I like to think that our Father wants to hear directly from our own heart...no matter how eloquent or uneloquent we are. He already knows what's in it anyway, he just wants to know we love Him enough to give Him our time and our love.

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:31 pm

Lavender,

thanks for the post. I have found it useful to remind me perhaps that sometimes a more realistic approach is required to find time for Prayer, especially when our busyness gets in the way of putting God first. I am gradually working my way through the Joyce Huggett book'Open to Prayer' and I have found it to be very helpful.

I have an aspiration to spend much more time in Prayer and believe that Ihave now reache a turning point in acheiving it. :spin: :votive1:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

BabsUK

Post by BabsUK » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:51 pm

You could if you wanted also subscribe to the ‘free’ devotional from St Andrews Book shop, should you like this type of thing, you could log on to your PC each day where the reading will be waiting for you; you then absorbed what the reading of the day is?

http://www.standrewsbookshop.co.uk/pages/1589.htm

Subscribe to this free service and receive a devotional thought every weekday morning, straight to your PC. Over 1200 people receive this daily encouragement which includes a verse or passage, a short comment, a prayer and an action point for the day.

There is also the keeping of a Prayer Journal
A prayer journal is a recorded account of your relationship with God. In certain sense, the Bible is one huge prayer journal preserved by God’s people. Just like the Bible,

Your personal journal should contain:
Things God says to you (messages from you and others)
Things you say to God
synopsis of how he has answered your requests (or not)
Lyrics or songs to God
Thoughts of how He is working in your life.
In short, it should contain anything that will help you keep in mind God's specific love for you and how He is moving in your life.

Some spiritual directors refer to keeping a prayer as writing "a Fifth Gospel." This book is not available in any store! It's your own unique, special, personal account of your relationship with Jesus—you're the only one who can write it. :thinking:
Nothing is impossible

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:07 pm

Babs,

Thank's. I have followed the link and have subscribed. I also receive daily devotionals from 'Word Live' from the Scripture Union. As for a Prayer Journal I have one of sorts and also use the blog and some posts on ichurch as a record. I am making some progress but acknowledge I've got some way to go and growing to do.

:thinking: :cross:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:28 am

That looks like a great link Babs. :D
Kindness is underrated.

Glo
Auxilium

Post by Glo » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:52 pm

I have struggled with returning to work after the Christmas break.

I must say that what has brought me through the last week was trying to take some time over lunch and pop into the local church for quiet time, reflection and prayer.
I am thinking of making it a habit ...

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:20 pm

That sounds nice. I think the biggest key to prayer is finding a space - physical and mental - when nothing else is nagging at you.
Kindness is underrated.

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:39 pm

I made time for Prayer, and left work for an hour and a half, to attend mid-week communion at my Parish Church. I went without expectations, but for some reason, although the congregation was tiny, I found it to be particularly quiet and restful.

The Service was BCP and the Parish Priest Simon, took it. I just was filled with joy and prayer, and perhaps this was percieved byh Simon as afterwards, he took me to one side and suggested a Retreat house to me, and has promised a book to help with quiet days and prayers.

The Holy Spirit was definitely with me today, I felt the need and want to attend Communion, which overpowered all of my work and other feelings and worries.

Simon is definitely the one I need to discuss other things with.

:votive1: :tea:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

BabsUK

Post by BabsUK » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:55 pm

:D That is great news Ernest - God is really moving in your life :cross: i'm sure Simon will be a great help to you in your journey :thumbs:
Nothing is impossible