Finding Time for Prayer

Post your prayers here
Ernest
Auxilium

Re: Finding Time for Prayer

Post by Ernest » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:33 pm

BabsUK wrote::D That is great news Ernest - God is really moving in your life :cross: i'm sure Simon will be a great help to you in your journey :thumbs:
Babs,

Yes, I feel that to. I believe that as a Priest, he is a Holy Man, who is modest and with a full confidence in Jesus and his work within the world, the church and his community.

The Parish is vibrant, and alive, with many young people actively involved in Worship and many other Groups.

The Parish had the largest group at our recent confirmation, which is evidence of God's word reaching out to many in the Parish.

:welcome: :tea:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

enyaj

Post by enyaj » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:02 am

Earnest wrote at the begining of this thread:
I know how precious time is for busy people. I want to find a routine for prayer that allows me to take time out of a busy schedule, to find some stillness and quiet to pray.
Rereading this again tonight I was again struck by the words *to take time out of a busy schedule*.

When do we most need to pray, when we are quiet and still, or when we are up to our necks in *busyness*? :praying:
Jayne (in Aroha, Hope, and Love. ) nz

. * . (\ *** /) * . Your future lies before you
*.* ( \(_)/ ) * * like a sheet of virgin snow
. . (_ /||\_) . * Be careful how you tread in it,
* . /____\ *..* For every step will show

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:01 pm

[quote="enyaj"]
[

When do we most need to pray, when we are quiet and still, or when we are up to our necks in *busyness*? :praying:
Jayne,

You can need to pray anytime, and some earlier posts on this thread have provided ideas for me to consider on how to develop a Prayer Life that fits both a busy schedule and my quiet times.

My post was some time ago, I am still seeking to learn, grow and to move and develop in my relationship with Jesus Christ, who is always there listening and with us. I want my conversations with him through Prayer to be the best they possibly can be.

I try and mostly succeed in small ways to pray, and think or reflect on God, during work and when driving, even when busy. So I am learning. I found a useful routine for a prayer for the hours, which just has a short prayer said for each hour of the day. I am sure that there are lots of other ways which can be an example or be adapted by me.

This probably wont satisfy your question, but it is the best that I can do after a long day.

Blessings

Ernest : :thinking: :hmm: :tea:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:12 pm

Just a little something from my blog that i find quite applicable
leaningshane wrote:I've just started a fitness plan with all my housemates to try and make 2009 a fit and healthy year. So far it's going well but hey, we've only been doing it 3 days. As part of it I have taken up jogging, and living near the beach, i thought this the ideal place to go. Now apart from the ache the day after I've found it absolutely fantastic.

I went down there on my own yesterday, running between piers and decided not to take an ipod as I love the sound of the sea. It was also here that I felt very close to God in a way that I haven't felt before. I think there is something to do with the sea that God can speak through more clearly. Half way through the jog I walked down and sat on the sand. I sat there for at least 20 minutes; no one there but me and my mate God. I have to say my prayers were short and i did not say or think much but God was sat right there with me, closer than I have ever felt before. I wonder if it is because the sea has pretty much been left as it was created with no interference and this is one of the only pure places left on the earth.

Either way, be it the purity of the sea or just the fresh sea air clearing my head, I just though i should write this down as an important mark. One thing is certain, I will take a lot more runs down the beach now. And on an interesting note my New Years Resolution this year was to get fit. I believe I have God to thank for the motivation to do something and I keep my faith in God to stay with me throughout 2009.

Goodbye :choc: Hello :sheep:
This is my way of finding the time
Formally leaningshane

enyaj

Post by enyaj » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:07 am

Hello, er...Leaningshane,

Anyway it's good to see a different typeface, so your remarks are doubly welcome.It is in the quiet noisiness of nature that we often meet God. I remember when I was five, sitting in a field of cauliflowers, eating some of the centres, when, through watching all the many insects around and on me that I first met God, though at the time I was not consciously aware of it in those terms.

And yes the sea is a wonmderful place to be alone with Him, though I wouldn't describe as being *pure* in these days when we are polluting everything we touch. :)

Jayne( in aroha, hope and Faith ) nz

* . (\ *** /) * .* If you have men that will exclude any of
*.* ( \(_)/ ) * * God’s creatures from the shelter of compassion
* * (_ /||\_) . * and pity, you will have men who will deal
* *. /____\ * * * likewise with their fellow men.
St Francis of Asiss

enyaj

Post by enyaj » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:25 am

Earnest wrote:

You can need to pray anytime,
But there are times when the need to pray is so great that we sometimes do so, ou loud, involuntarily, even people who say they don't believe in God. How often have you been in a situation where you see someone in trouble, and the words *God help them* come to mind? How often do we find ourselves in situations where we feel forced to ask for God's help?

From what I have seen of life I believe that it is when we are at our busiest that we really need to pray.

Of course there are people who will say that we need to praise and worship God all the time, but this is not my idea of prayer.

St Francis of Asiss

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:17 pm

"Enyaj wrote"

From what I have seen of life I believe that it is when we are at our busiest that we really need to pray

I would agree, as often when we are at our busiest we might be taking decisions which require some thought and integrity. And in some circumstances, might mean life or deaf. Certainly, in my profession we are expected to "Maintain standards that are higher than those or different to those which might be the norm in civil life" I believe that even the most ardent agnostic or athiest, might be drawn to prayer in some circumstances.

See Link:
http://www2.army.mod.uk/servingsoldier/ ... /index.htm

"Enyaj Wrote"

"Of course there are people who will say that we need to praise and worship God all the time, but this is not my idea of prayer."

I believe that those who say this would want to put Jesus first and foremost in their life and their Prayer and Worship all of the time is a way of expressing that. I have that aspiration to, but sadly I am sure that in common with many others I fail daily!! :cry:

I think that Karen's explanation of dedicating a the whole day to Jesus, from early morning with every thought, word or deed being in worship of him, is the standard to which I would like to reach. I hope and pray that one day, my humble attempts meet this standard. :hmm:

Perhaps you might give us a view on what you might consider prayer to be!! :veryconfused:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

enyaj

Post by enyaj » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:08 pm

[
Earnest wrote:

I believe that those who say this would want to put Jesus first and foremost in their life and their Prayer and Worship all of the time is a way of expressing that. I have that aspiration to, but sadly I am sure that in common with many others I fail daily!!

I think that Karen's explanation of dedicating a the whole day to Jesus, from early morning with every thought, word or deed being in worship of him, is the standard to which I would like to reach. I hope and pray that one day, my humble attempts meet this standard.

Perhaps you might give us a view on what you might consider prayer to be!!
Yet we are told in the Gospel that we should pray to the Father.(Mat.6:6) We may pray in Jesus name, and it should be noted that in the PB this is the format used.

You ask me for to give what I consider prayer to be. Well firstly it is communion with God, and that is a two way thing.

I am not sure whether I have said it on these boards, I rather think I have somewhere on the *Place to talk* board, however I will say it here. I believe that we arrive at true prayer when, like Brother Lawrence and St Francis, and indeed many of the other saints, we are in perpetual communion with God 24/7/365.

This is a hard goal to achieve for many people, yet it is a natural progression for prayer. We start when we are young, kneeling by our beds murmering the Lords Prayer, and possibly asking for God to look after those close to us. As we grow in understanding this side of our prayer life becomes more formal, and we move into the liturgical prayer format. If we do not get stuck there, in otherwords if we become aware that there is more to prayer than repetitive recitations of the same prayers, we start asking questions about prayer and will be given the titles and authors of all kinds of books on prayer which we are told to read. Some will help us a little along the road, others will confuse us. At this point we can become so concentrated on trying to find out what prayer is that we stop progressing, maybe temporally, but for some it is a very long term block. I spent some years here.
Then I came across Brother Lawrence, who made prayer a continual action throughout his day. A lowly monk, he turned all his actions into prayer, whether it be tending the monastry's vegetable garden, chapel, study, or washing up in the kitchen. This idea fascinated me, and I tried it, but it seemed far beyond what I could achieve. Then I started on my journey with St. Francis, and learned how to see God's hand in all that was around me, and I learnt how to translate this into praise. That led me to recognise the real presence of God in my life, a closeness that I had never felt so vividly before, and with that came a communion with Him that was two way. I learnt to trust Him, I did not need to tell Him my needs, for He already knew them; this helped me know the difference between my real needs, and my wants. For years I had been wanting to know how to pray properly, when what I needed was just to let God into my daily life, to accept that He could be part of my *busyness*.

Thus I came to understand that if I trusted Him He would meet my needs, and a quiet thank you was all that was required. That does not mean that I left it all up to Him, often I had to seek His guidence when choosing a path. I had to listen, and I had to act. Sometimes such action was contrary to what I saw as my own interests, and on some occasions I had to suffer the disapproval of others. Yet in trusting Him each time such happened I found myself moving forward, when one door closed others opened. If I step through the wrong door it quickly is made apparrant, and I am offered another to move through.

I can't claim to be a perfect 24/7 practioner, but I sure am moving well along the road. Where worry once was I find God, thus already I find a peace that I never though would be for me. I must admit that part of the key I have found is rejecting possesions, not that I must not have any, but to recognise that possessions are transitory, and belong not to me but to Him. Thus if I am shown the need to pass on something I own, or translate it into money to help someone, or some creature, I can do so with no sense of loss or regret. And all this is part of continuous prayer, and can be found in the life of St. Francis.

I am sure I have not explained it well, but there it is, it is the life I lead. I still take part in formal liturgy, where I encourage people to stop and think about the words they are saying, where when I am taking a reading I open myself and let God read through me. As for praying for the needs of others all I can do is commend them to Him, for He alone knows their real needs. (I have long learnt the hard fact that in this world there is a prayer opposite to everything I may ask for others, I leave it to Him to decide who's side, if any, He is on,I just do as I am told, as Jesus prayed in Gethsemene, *not my will, but yours be done, Father*.)

(My appologies for typing/spelling errors, but me wee spell check ain't working.)

St Francis of Asiss

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:42 pm

Jayne,

thank ou for a thoughtful reply.

I will ponder on it and perhaps come back to you in a day or two. :votive1:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

enyaj

Post by enyaj » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:23 am

Earnest wrote:

I will ponder on it and perhaps come back to you in a day or two.
I will look forward to it.

(My apologies, I have been off line for ten days, hardware problems on an old machine.)

. * . (\ *** /) * . I long to accomplish a
*.* ( \(_)/ ) * * great and noble task, but
. . (_ /||\_) . * it is my chief duty to
* . /____\ *..* accomplish small tasks as
if they were great and noble.
(Hellen Keller)

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:23 pm

Jayne,

I have been considering your helpful and prayerful response to my question.

I have arrived at a Quieter and calmer place at the moment both in terms of Prayer and my inner rush and need to understand more of my faith and belief.

I am trying to daily dedicate each one to God, from first thing when I rise, to the minute I go to sleep. So finding time for prayer has become perhaps an exercise of mixing prayer with thought word and deed, wherever I am and whatever I am doing.

I have a little booklet with a Prayer for the Hours, which I take everywhere and try to do every hour. Sometimes it is impracticable, as in a whole day meeting last week, but the fact that I have it is a comfort and reminder to me to consider God and to put him first in thought before I do anything.

I am still not entirely succesful the whole of the tme, but my more relaxed and quieter innerself is better able to deal with the issue - and to bring me back to where I want to be if I stray to far.

I am preparing for retirement, and have been in a great rush and cycle of planning what do do afterwards. My ideas have moved on dramatically led by my wish to be more involved in the Church and to work in some sort of Ministry within the Christian community. I see this developing and with Prayer and guidance from the Holy Spirit I will in God's good time, arrive where he wants me to be.

Now I understand that the question is not finding time for prayer, rather finding time for Jesus and putting him centrally in all that we do.

Regards

Ernest :woohoo: :cross:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

enyaj

Post by enyaj » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:40 am

Ernest wrote:Jayne,
I am trying to daily dedicate each one to God, from first thing when I rise, to the minute I go to sleep. So finding time for prayer has become perhaps an exercise of mixing prayer with thought word and deed, wherever I am and whatever I am doing.
Is it possible for you to make thought, word and deed the prayer, rather than trying to mix prayer in with them? I ask because I think you may find it easier in the long term?
Sometimes it is impracticable, as in a whole day meeting last week,
This is a case in point re my above comment. can you take God in with you and let Him guide you during your meetings? After all He does know what is happening and why.
I am still not entirely succesful the whole of the tme,
And I doubt many of us ever will be, if we ever do make the 100% grade then I guess we can apply for our halo. :angel:
I will in God's good time, arrive where he wants me to be.
Amen!
finding time for Jesus and putting him centrally in all that we do.
Can I dare another suggestion? Don't split God and Jesus, the latter points us to the former of which He is part, so when you speak of God you are also speaking of the Son and the Spirit. If we are talking of the Gospel, then using His name is fine, if we are praying through Him, *in the name of....*, then that also is fine, but if we are talking of Him as God, of which He is part, then I believe we should refer to Him as God, after all that is what He is. Confusing ain't it? :hmm:

. * . (\ *** /) * . I long to accomplish a
*.* ( \(_)/ ) * * great and noble task, but
. . (_ /||\_) . * it is my chief duty to
* . /____\ *..* accomplish small tasks as
if they were great and noble.
(Hellen Keller)

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi Jayne,

thanks for the reply. I think perhaps that I have gone as far as I can with this question, unless it goes in another direction, perhaps, off topic. But than Prayer is a topic which we can discuss in many other ways. :thinking:

Your followup and feedback has been both thought provoking and helpful. Thank you for the time and care you have given to this topic with me. :thumbs:

Ernest
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

enyaj

Post by enyaj » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:51 am

My pleasure, after all thats what boards like this are about, I believe.

* . (\ *** /) * .* Be beautiful inside, in your hearts,
* . * ( \(_)/ ) * * with the lasting charm of a gentle
* * (_ /||\_) . * And quiet spirit, that is
* *. /____\ * . so precious to God
(1 Peter 3:4 TLB)