Who is God and the Theme of the Bible

If you have an overwhelming urge to explore the weightier theological ideas, this is the place to seek fellow-travellers.
Ernest
Auxilium

Who is God and the Theme of the Bible

Post by Ernest » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:50 pm

Can you briefly state the Bible's overall theme and who is God?

I found the above question(s) with two short paragraph answers on the Bible Study Ordg web site. Here http://www.biblestudy.org/question/what ... s-god.html

Eric Snow answers the questions quite succintly, making it plain that he is leaving out much.

How would you answer the questions? :help: :flowerface: :P :tea:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Pam
Web Pastor

Re: Who is God and the Theme of the Bible

Post by Pam » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:28 pm

Well I don't believe the human mind can encompass its creator, so any definition will be somewhat lacking, but I can't really see where he gets
God is composed of two spirit Beings at present
from at all!

Caroline
Site Admin

Post by Caroline » Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:01 pm

My definition would have to be exceedingly vague - God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent; the creator of all that there is, interested in mankind, and the very definition of 'good'.

The Bible is a record and a revelation of the relationship between God and man.

(I wrote that before looking at the link.)

I can't figure out the two spirits bit either - the references he gives don't help at all.
Kindness is underrated.

enyaj

Post by enyaj » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:39 am

Caroline wrote:

My definition would have to be exceedingly vague - God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent; the creator of all that there is, interested in mankind, and the very definition of 'good'.

The Bible is a record and a revelation of the relationship between God and man.

(I wrote that before looking at the link.)

I can't figure out the two spirits bit either - the references he gives don't help at all.
I would change the question to *What is God*. By removing the question from [personal to object we have a wider choice of descriptions. However I think the best we can do is quote God itself, *I AM*. This includes all that Caroline gives us, but does not exclude anything else, including the possibility that God is a personified being.

I would add to Caroline's answer re the Bible, *........... given to us to help us understand that relationship, an understanding that the Christ was sent to help us with. (Part of that understanding is our place in relationship to God through eternal life.)
Jayne (in Aroha, Hope, and Love. ) nz

. * . (\ *** /) * . Do what you can
*.* ( \(_)/ ) * * with what you have
. . (_ /||\_) . * Where you are
* . /____\ *..* (Theodore Roosevelt)

Thorwald

Post by Thorwald » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:11 am

:swords: Is our understanding of The Trinity (1 John 5:7) and The Godhead (Isaiah 44:6) correct?

Who is The King? It appears that the first 'figure' of Isaiah 44:6, is the king. The Lord's Prayer says that it is 'Our Father in heaven's kingdom that is coming. Rev chpt 4 has The Lord God Almighty sitting on His throne. It appears that Isaiah chpt 43 refers to the first figure of Isaiah 44:6. The scripture tells us, that the word that Christ is teaching, is not His, but The Father's that sent Him.

It appears to me, that there may be errors in the NT concerning the above. The Son is The Word (The Lord God Almighty, The creator and conciliator). Jesus Christ is His son (The Word in the flesh). He is a child of The Lord God Almighty, as are angels, Adam and Eve.

Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:12 pm

Welcome Thorwald. :flowerface:

The early church did get along without defining their ideas about God for quite a while, but the idea that Jesus was divine and therefore part of the Godhead does fit in with him being the Word of God.

I can't quite get my head around God existing without the Word - John's well known statement that 'In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God', does seem to indicate that the Word predated Jesus' birth as a human.

enyaj

Post by enyaj » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:09 am

Thorwald wrote:

It appears to me, that there may be errors in the NT concerning the above. The Son is The Word (The Lord God Almighty, The creator and conciliator). Jesus Christ is His son (The Word in the flesh). He is a child of The Lord God Almighty, as are angels, Adam and Eve.
I think we need to be careful we don't confuse the use of the word *Word* as per John, with its use as being the teachings that God is giving through the Christ. They are very different. Jesus was the Word Incarnate, yet, like the prophets of old, He preached the words of God.
Jayne (in Aroha, Hope, and Love. ) nz

. * . (\ *** /) * . I long to accomplish a
*.* ( \(_)/ ) * * great and noble task, but
. . (_ /||\_) . * it is my chief duty to
* . /____\ *..* accomplish small tasks as
if they were great and noble.
(Hellen Keller)