Pam's blog

Blog-style posting from our users.

This section is only for Blog posts. If you would like to blog, please start a topic with the title 'X's Blog', where 'X' is your username. Comments can be made as replies to the initial post, and subsequent blog entries should be made on the same thread to ensure continuity.

We will be installing new dedicated blogging software as soon as we can, but it is not currently available, unfortunately.

Our Blog Archive is still available for reading, here.
Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:45 am

Lent photos day 42 - PATH

The trail of vapour marks the way the plane has gone through the sky.

Lincoln Cathedral marks centuries of worship.

A path is only made by walking/flying/praying it
image.jpeg

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:10 am

image.jpeg
Lent photos day 43 - ENTER

An impressive set of warnings at the entry to see the geysers.

When we got in, it was amazing

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:57 am

Lent photos day 44 - CELEBRATE

A last photo of Hallsgrimkirkja, taken through the glass of the hotel foyer when we were waiting for the 4.00 am pickup to go to the airport. The darkness is brightened by lights inside and outside the hotel.
image.jpeg

Emle

Pam's blog

Post by Emle » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:58 am

Thank you Pam for sharing this wonderful journey through lent as seen through the lens of a camera ..... I am missing your daily input to start my day :)

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:47 am

Thank you for your encouragement - it was quite a challenge, I've only got 'point the phone and press the button' level of technical ability, and the list of words was given to me. Apart from noticing every Sunday was 'celebrate', I couldn't always work out why the words had been chosen. It was a good thing for me because it made me take a bit of time to think about Lent each day, and the puzzle of finding a match between photo and word tapped into my creative side. Thank you for following. X

Jennifer

Pam's blog

Post by Jennifer » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:09 am

Emle wrote:Thank you Pam for sharing this wonderful journey through lent as seen through the lens of a camera ..... I am missing your daily input to start my day :)
And as seen through you, Pam. :thumbs:

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:47 pm

I'm doing a photo a day for Lent again. I found a different list online this year. I'm also posting the same pictures and reflections on Facebook.
Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 20.47.04.png

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:49 pm

Lent photos day 1 - Ash Wednesday

WASH
Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 20.31.00.png
Cats spend an enormous amount of time washing their fur. It looks very laborious, and not particularly efficient. Thinking about this on Ash Wednesday, I wondered how it compared with our own attempts to 'wash ourselves clean of sin' (in the old terminology). Am I as attentive to keeping up to the task as Benjie is?

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:38 pm

Lent photos day 2

REJOICE
Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 22.34.08.png
I've always loved fairy lights on the Christmas tree. I can't get on with the very bright LED lights, so a couple of years ago I tracked down some traditional multi-coloured flowery shaped lights.

Rejoice means to be filled with joy. At the moment, it feels as if we need more joy.

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:12 pm

Lent photos day 3

RESTORE

I've been trying out 'natural' household cleaners recently. Most of them use citric acid and bicarbonate of soda, which make a really satisfying fizz when mixed with water.

What's always struck me about cleaning is that you can't actually get rid of the dirt - just move it out of your space to pollute someone else's!

The verse for today (posted in comments) is a prayer for God to create a clean heart within us. I think the difference with this sort of cleaning is that the dirt is taken out of the world completely.
Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 21.02.19.png

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:14 pm

Psalm 51.10-14

Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and put a new and right spirit within me.
Do not cast me away from your presence,
and do not take your holy spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and sustain in me a willing* spirit.

Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners will return to you.
Deliver me from bloodshed, O God,
O God of my salvation,
and my tongue will sing aloud of your deliverance.

http://lecfamily.org/daily-devotions/20 ... -3-restore

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:18 am

Lent pictures day 4

BROKEN

Building sites are usually ugly, and always dangerous.

Psalm 51.15-17:

O Lord, open my lips,
and my mouth will declare your praise.
For you have no delight in sacrifice;
if I were to give a burnt-offering, you would not be pleased.
The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit;
a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 22.45.42.png

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:43 pm

Lent Pictures Day 5

FAITHFUL

I photographed these swans out for a Sunday morning paddle around the area in Stratford on Avon
Swans are traditionally faithful to one another for life. I've seen some debunking of this as a myth, but it seems they do stay with the same partners to raise more than one batch of cygnets.

In Matthew 4 we see Jesus being tempted to give up his faith in God, and trust the devil instead. But he refuses.

God will stay with us as long as we stay with him.

Matthew 4.5-7

Then the devil took him to the holy city and placed him on the pinnacle of the temple, saying to him, ‘If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down; for it is written,
“He will command his angels concerning you”,
and “On their hands they will bear you up,
so that you will not dash your foot against a stone.” ’
Jesus said to him, ‘Again it is written, “Do not put the Lord your God to the test.” ’
Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 23.32.16.png

Ernest
Auxilium

Pam's blog

Post by Ernest » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:49 pm

I love the photograph and this particular reading.

It is a real reminder of how temptation by quite venial things, can lure us away from centering on Jesus. And I'm no better at resisting temptations than anyone else. :redface:

I wonder if my love for the story actually is linked to my going to Sacramental Confession at the start of each season of the Church? Probably. :hmm: :hmm:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:05 pm

Lent Pictures Day 6

HAPPY

I think the reason I like having cats around is their ability to find, and display, happiness. The downside is that having an unhappy cat around can be a major distraction.

I get accused by other family members of 'being soft' with Benjie, and even spoiling him. But as an occasionally anxious and depressive person, I really just enjoy his happiness.

Psalm 32.1-2

Happy are those whose transgression is forgiven,
whose sin is covered.
Happy are those to whom the Lord imputes no iniquity,
and in whose spirit there is no deceit.
Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 23.02.38.png

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:05 pm

Lent Pictures Day 7

WEARY

Another picture of Benjie - illustrating another facet of the feline personality, the ability to relax.

Weariness doesn't always lead to sleep. If I can't relax, being weary makes me anxious and even more wide awake and tired. I need peace of mind to find rest.

Psalm 32.3-5

While I kept silence, my body wasted away
through my groaning all day long.
For day and night your hand was heavy upon me;
my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer.
Selah

Then I acknowledged my sin to you,
and I did not hide my iniquity;
I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the Lord’,
and you forgave the guilt of my sin.
Selah
Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 22.55.24.png

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:04 am

Lent Pictures Day 8

SHELTER

This is the tree the pigeons sit in, whether it has leaves or not, whatever the weather. During the partial eclipse of the sun, when it started to feel like dusk, they flew into this tree. It may not look very protective to me, but to them it is shelter.

This picture reminds me of the story Jesus told about the kingdom of God being a mustard seed, that grows into a tree where the birds make nests in its branches (Luke 13.18-19) One of the young offenders who heard that parable said in response, 'I am a bird that sits in that tree'.

Psalm 32.6-7

Therefore let all who are faithful
offer prayer to you;
at a time of distress, the rush of mighty waters
shall not reach them.
You are a hiding-place for me;
you preserve me from trouble;
you surround me with glad cries of deliverance.
Selah
Screen Shot 2017-03-08 at 23.54.15.png

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:31 pm

Lent Pictures Day 9

LEARN

This is an icon I saw in the chapel at Ely retreat house. I had no idea what it depicted, but have since found out that it depicts Jesus and the apostles. They are all holding books.

On the blog Domini Canes, James R Dennis OB writes about John 15 and uses this icon as an illustration:

Abiding connotes that we will remain with Jesus, and He will remain with us. Like the branches on the vine, our continued existence depends on remaining connected to the Source of our lives. If we allow the Word to make a home within our lives, we will feel the Divine pulsing and surging across all creation. At that point, this holy relationship begins to determine how we act and how we love. Thus, keeping the commandments becomes less like a burden, and more like a presence. We are thereby grafted onto the tree of life, grafted onto the life of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I think that’s exactly what St. John had in mind when he wrote about a time when our joy would be complete.

I wish you the joy of God’s presence,

James R. Dennis, O.P.

Psalm 32. 8-11

I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go;
I will counsel you with my eye upon you.

Do not be like a horse or a mule, without understanding,
whose temper must be curbed with bit and bridle,
else it will not stay near you.

Many are the torments of the wicked,
but steadfast love surrounds those who trust in the Lord.

Be glad in the Lord and rejoice, O righteous,
and shout for joy, all you upright in heart
Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 20.23.28.png

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:37 pm

Lent Pictures Day 10

PROTECTION

This picture was taken on a quick stroll down to the shops shortly after we arrived in Southwold. It started to pour with rain when we'd got so far away from the house that we would have got just as wet going back as we would pressing on. The wind drove the rain into our faces and there was absolutely no way of protecting ourselves from the weather. When this picture was taken, I'd gone beyond feeling cold to feeling numb. I was so wet that I couldn't get any wetter.

People who know me will recognise that I'm not usually cheerful in the face of adversity, but the cold and wet were so awful, especially after setting off for a pleasant stroll to the seafront, it started to feel funny.

Psalm 121.1-4
A Song of Ascents.

1 I lift up my eyes to the hills—
from where will my help come?
2 My help comes from the Lord,
who made heaven and earth.

3 He will not let your foot be moved;
he who keeps you will not slumber.
4 He who keeps Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.
Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 23.21.27.png

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:06 am

Lent Pictures Day 11

KEEPER
Psalm 121 speaks of God's active protection, watching us coming in and going out, and being our shade from the light of the sun and the moon.

Of course we can question this promise, looking at the many difficulties and tragedies that happen to all of us in life. Is God really so protective?

This reminds me of another psalm, perhaps the the most famous one, Psalm 23, a version of which we sang at school as The Lord's My Shepherd. Death's dark vale was not to be feared, and nor were enemies

Goodness and mercy all my life
Shall surely follow me
And in God's house, forever more,
My dwelling place shall be.
Do we believe God's promises? That's up to us.

Psalm 121.5-8
5 The Lord is your keeper;
the Lord is your shade at your right hand.
6 The sun shall not strike you by day,
nor the moon by night.

7 The Lord will keep you from all evil;
he will keep your life.
8 The Lord will keep
your going out and your coming in
from this time on and for evermore.
Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 00.01.58.png

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:42 am

Lent Pictures Day 12

BELIEVE
This picture of my grandson shows him looking both like an old man and a very tiny, new baby. He still has that 'other-worldly' quality of brand new babies, when they look as if they still haven't quite taken in where they are.

Jesus' phrase in verse 3, here given as 'Born from above', has often been translated as 'Born again'. Nicodemus comes to Jesus in secret; Jesus tells him he needs to start life again to see the kingdom of God.

We think of our lives unfolding in a linear way from birth to death, but maybe God sees it differently?

John 3.1-17

Now there was a Pharisee named Nicodemus, a leader of the Jews. He came to Jesus by night and said to him, ‘Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God; for no one can do these signs that you do apart from the presence of God.’ Jesus answered him, ‘Very truly, I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God without being born from above.’ Nicodemus said to him, ‘How can anyone be born after having grown old? Can one enter a second time into the mother’s womb and be born?’ Jesus answered, ‘Very truly, I tell you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit. What is born of the flesh is flesh, and what is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not be astonished that I said to you, “You must be born from above.” The wind blows where it chooses, and you hear the sound of it, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.’ Nicodemus said to him, ‘How can these things be?’ Jesus answered him, ‘Are you a teacher of Israel, and yet you do not understand these things?
‘Very truly, I tell you, we speak of what we know and testify to what we have seen; yet you* do not receive our testimony. If I have told you about earthly things and you do not believe, how can you believe if I tell you about heavenly things? No one has ascended into heaven except the one who descended from heaven, the Son of Man. And just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.*
‘For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life.
‘Indeed, God did not send the Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him.
Screen Shot 2017-03-12 at 12.18.58.png

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:15 pm

Lent Pictures Day 13
OBEDIENCE

We tend to associate obedience with having to keep rules that make life duller, or do what we are told instead of what we want to do.

On a train journey today, I noticed how many signs there were telling passengers what to do and what not to do - all of them intended to make the journey safer and pleasanter.

Psalm 128 speaks of the good results that will come from fearing God. This kind of fear is respect, reverence and awe. If you respect someone to the point of revering them and being in awe of them, you will follow their advice and direction. The kind of directions God gives us are to be obeyed, not out of fear of the consequences, but because we should respect and revere what he says.

Psalm 128.1-4

1Happy is everyone who fears the Lord, who walks in his ways.
2You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands; you shall be happy, and it shall go well with you.
3Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house; your children will be like olive shoots around your table.
4Thus shall the man be blessed who fears the Lord.
Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 22.08.23.png

Ernest
Auxilium

Pam's blog

Post by Ernest » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:41 am

I find that people take the word 'fear the Lord' as meaning that God is one of Wrath (the controversial word in the Hymn) but your explanation matches one that we worked out for ourselves on a recent Pilgrim Course on the Beatitudes.

Among our LLM Trg cohort we have a mix of people who dislike the Hymn 'In Christ Alone' because of that, another believes that the word "satisfied' points out that God's plan can be construed as cruel and unusual punishment.

But the Atonement theory has been debated for more years than I have here on earth. I found it difficult at first to get my head around the whole subject - and for a long while, just accepted that it might be a mystery I would never understand. But study together has enabled me to accept that Jesus, having being part of that plan from the beginning - obeyed his Father's will, because in reality is was his also.

If I have that wrong, it might be heresy, but it helps me to understand it without condemnation and to sing the hymn without demur.
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Joyce

Pam's blog

Post by Joyce » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:17 pm

As a child at school I loved language. Perhaps that's because in the first few years there were two and I was nosy. It was the same with reading : I just had to know what was on those pages. It got my attention through both primary and secondary school when we would go over the words of hymns and learn what they used to mean when they were written. I remember where I was when 'Him serve with fear' was explained, partly because the teacher had a croaky voice that day. (We didn't laugh when she sang. One didn't in those days.) In my adult churchgoing days it seemed normal to me when the vicar or the music director would have sessions introducing new hymns and explaining what we were singing about.

Doesn't anybody teach any more ? Wouldn't it be better to make sure the congregation understands the theology of the words rather than jettison the hymns ? Ernest, how about it for a future project ? Or a sermon ?

Pam
Web Pastor

Pam's blog

Post by Pam » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:32 pm

Lent Pictures Day 14

BLESSING

The blessing expressed at the end of Psalm 128 is twofold - a wish that the blessed one shall live to see Jerusalem prosper and to see his children's children.

It is a blessing to live in a prosperous, peaceful society. It is a blessing to see your children live to become parents themselves. There is nothing we can do to earn these things. They are in God's hands.

Psalm 128.5-6

The Lord bless you from Zion. May you see the prosperity of Jerusalem all the days of your life.

May you see your children’s children. Peace be upon Israel!
Screen Shot 2017-03-14 at 23.27.58.png