Chaplaincy

If you have an overwhelming urge to explore the weightier theological ideas, this is the place to seek fellow-travellers.
Ernest
Auxilium

Chaplaincy

Post by Ernest » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:01 am

I am in the middle of two modules for my LLM Training (4th Year)

Chaplaincy is one. We had an inspiring tutor from a local NHS Trust, who have been a Chaplain for 27 years in different spheres and his spouse is also involved (she is LLM) as a Volunteer Chaplain.

But what do others think of Chaplaincy it would help me to understand more:

Questions are:

What is the Point of Chaplaincy?

What do they bring to a workplace or other roles that can't be offered by other pastoral schemes run by employers?

What do you believe to be the key skills necessary to be effective as a chaplain?

How does a Chaplain minister to those of other or no faiths?

How does our work on i-church reflect the work of a Chaplain?

Over to you - answers would help me to think through some of my own ideas and reading - so thank you in advance. :thumbs:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Pam
Web Pastor

Chaplaincy

Post by Pam » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi Ernest

As you may recall, I worked in prison chaplaincy with young offenders and adult males before I was ordained. I was a licensed lay Reader and also a licensed Lay Chaplain in the adult prison.

The role of chaplaincy was twofold - to enable practising members of a faith group to continue to observe their faith, usually by meeting with others and providing a visiting minister if there wasn't a chaplain on the staff from their faith group, and to provide pastoral support to prisoners and to staff.

I think the presence of chaplaincy in the institution provided a sense that there were people who were separate from 'the system' around to talk to, which was important to some prisoners. Chaplaincy volunteers were particularly appreciated, because they were choosing to spend time in the prison to provide a listening ear, help on courses and so on. This meant a lot to prisoners who might feel very isolated from family and friends.

I think, at best, we provided a safety net - if all else failed, staff knew that they could ask a chaplaincy team member to talk to someone in difficulties.

It's quite a nebulous role, as you need to be able to adapt to the needs around you, and also work out when it would be more appropriate to involve another department.

Ernest
Auxilium

Chaplaincy

Post by Ernest » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:01 pm

Thank you Pam.

I will take it on board and it will be helpful. I am currently seeking a town centre placement with a Chaplaincy run through the Kent Mission Trust. Who do Bluewater etc, close to here. But also our local town centre in Bexley.

They are not in any rush to respond, as they are totally run by volunteers and the office is only open a few hours a week. I suppose it's 'watch this space' until I get a decision.
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Ernest
Auxilium

Chaplaincy

Post by Ernest » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:02 pm

I have managed to organize a local placement in our main shopping centre, and as a coincidence, one of the people involved is also a course tutor on Chaplaincy and I will meet him this evening at West Malling.

Godincidence or what?
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Pam
Web Pastor

Chaplaincy

Post by Pam » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:06 am

Sounds like it could be really useful!

Ernest
Auxilium

Chaplaincy

Post by Ernest » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:12 am

Yes, Gary was very helpful. Now just waiting for the local Lead Chaplain to make contact, as a coincidence, she is a former LLM stutdent a couple of years ago, who attended the Chaplaincy module and found her true vocation to it.

It will be good to have this in common. :biggrin:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!