The Creeds

If you have an overwhelming urge to explore the weightier theological ideas, this is the place to seek fellow-travellers.
Ernest
Auxilium

The Creeds

Post by Ernest » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:10 am

My Parish are shortly to run the Pilgrim course on the Creeds.

It has always interested me when we are called to state our beliefs and faith in the Creed in services, and often wonder how much of the creed's people actually understand or believe fully.

I am aware for instance that some parishes only use the Apostles Creed because they are in dispute with parts of the Nicene Creed. And the C of E prescribed that the Athanasian Creed is read at least once a year at a specific time and place. A summary of what creeds are is below. I note that Orthodox Churches in the East only use the Nicene creed and not the other two.

From Wikipeadia
"Ecumenical creeds is an umbrella term used in the Western Church to refer to the Nicene Creed, the Apostles' Creed and, less commonly, the Athanasian Creed. The ecumenical creeds are also known as the universal creeds. These creeds are accepted by almost all mainstream Christian denominations in the West, including Reformed churches, the Roman Catholic Church, Anglican churches and Lutheran churches".

I don't propose to rehearse my own belief, but am interested in how others feel about the Creeds? For instance, in a recent conversation with someone they described how someone they trained with, actually didn't subscribe to the tenets of the Creeds, but was still ordained as a Priest in the Church of God. I wonder how they got their lack of belief past the whole system to be ordained? Perhaps they took their ordination vows with their finger crossed? Something that I have heard off in isolated cases in some positions, particularly when vowing to obey their Bishop.

Feedback welcome, because it might inform my thoughts when I actually get to lead this course, among our very diverse congregation. :thumbs:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Joyce

The Creeds

Post by Joyce » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:52 am

I can't answer how I 'feel' about any of the versions of The Creed because they don't evoke any emotion in me.
Some recent mucked-about-with versions of The General Confession now, that's another matter. I have been known to feel frustrated and annoyed at those.I have shouted at the radio and the computer many a time.

The Athenasian Creed puzzles me - if that can be a feeling. Towards the end it appears to negate the Pauline doctrine we're brought up with that explains Jesus' time on Earth : ie forgiveness and salvation.
Incidentally I like the idea of 'the creed's people'. It embraces all churches and a few outside. I know several people of 'other' faiths who would agree with what's in the creed they hear in Church if they go to a service.

Ernest
Auxilium

The Creeds

Post by Ernest » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:41 am

Something that I wrote a year or so ago as part of an essay on Christian Discipleship.

"The creed isn’t a comprehensive container for all Christian Doctrine, rather it’s a summary, concentrating on the God that we trust implicitly. It was never designed to provide a comprehensive statement of faith and belief, but is a pointer towards the story of God’s action, his creation, with the Jewish People in the old testament and through Jesus in the new testament. While it doesn’t mention creation, it does mention the world to come. The summary goes hand in hand with the Bible one without the other would be mutually incomplete and open to wide interpretation and heresy. Within the Church of England, each minister before being authorised or licensed for any form of ministry is required to make the ‘Declaration of Assent’ to the doctrines (creeds) of the Church. The relationship with a confession of faith, and scripture is embedded in ministry within the church"

Good starting point for any conversation on the Creed(s)
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!