Revival of TV Childrens Show, Crackerjack

Want to talk about something? Life? Faith? This is the place.
Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:29 am

I understand that the old format show, which ran on BBCTV between 1955 and 1984 is to be revived.

I can remember watching the chaotic show as a child and than my children enjoying it in the early 80's. Characters such as Lesley Crowther (late and lamented) starred on the show, and there was imaginative sketches, games and banter, which were funny, innocent and lasted in memory.

At a time, when much of TV available to children is full of violence, sexually explicit activities, this might brighten the shows available for them to watch.

I am not in favour of censorship of viewing, but so much content available on TV and social media is vile and unsuitable viewing, I welcome anything that provides and alternative for children. :thumbs:
Where there is hope and love there is life!
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:14 pm

In the UK it's a different landscape from when I, and my children, grew up. Going on holiday with grandchildren has opened my eyes to a huge range of programmes available on separate digital channels, rather than the small amount of time allocated to 'children's television' on the main channels back in the day.

I loved Crackerjack, particularly the quiz at the end where the contestants had to hold onto an increasing pile of prizes for correct answers and cabbages for wrong answers until they dropped them!

Of the new programmes, I have a real soft spot for The Night Garden, with its zany collection of characters, and lovely music.

Joyce

Post by Joyce » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:07 am

When I was a child and an increasing number of my classmates were getting a television, I used to watch Crackerjack with my neighbours and later, when I was older with my little cousins when I was sitting-in on a Friday evening. Our favourite was always 'Double-or-Drop' with the cabbages and prizes. I'm delighted it's coming back. In those days the prizes were pencil-cases, board games, airfix kits,jigsaw puzzles and boxes of crayons. I'm intrigued to see what today's children will be offered. I imagine cabbages will be non-PC - food waste is to be discouraged nowadays.

We used to watch Dr Who the next day. In those days it was a children's programme, shown at tea-time - lasting 20 to 30 minutes - frightening in places but they wouldn't have missed it. Since children's TV moved to its own channels I haven't watched any since The Sarah Jane Adventures ended suddenly with the death of Elisabeth Sladen in 2011. I used to love that. It was wholesome, yet up-to-date, with intelligent, hearty teenagers saving the universe every week.

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:24 am

Its great to share memories of how good childrens TV was in the days of growing up and how different things are today.

Our friends, who married late in life and have two young girls, one of whom is a God Daughter to us, have the privilege of watching shows with their children.

Now 7 and 8 years old, their tastes are maturing, but they still take pleasure watching shows with their parents and singing along with them. And the attention they receive from their parents, particularly with basic skills, mean that their education in mainstream schools is going well.

Their progress is a delight to watch, they were proficient readers by age 4, before actually starting school and I suspect that both parents want the best for them.

One is a Doctor and Mum is a nurse, both who benefited from free higher education in their younger lives, and want to enable their offspring to get a similar education, despite the student loans etc which prevent some young people entering higher education today.

So, bring on TV shows for children which are good fun, can assist in social progress and give children a step up in education as a bonus :thumbs:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:22 am

I literally did hind behind the sofa when the Daleks were on Dr Who - I was terrified of them!

Joyce

Post by Joyce » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:19 am

I was 16 when I saw my first Daleks and knowing what they represent I've been scared ever since, especially when they're flying over Germany saying, 'Extermineren'.

Since we've all gone digital, the TV and radio schools' programmes don't seem to be there any more. I think if the BBC, Channel 4 and ITV have stopped making them, they ought to sell CDs and DVDs of their old ones to the general public for use by parents, or for grown-up schoolchildren to enjoy again. Who'd like to join in again with the Look and Read song about the apostrophe ? Try to get the jokes intended for teachers on Mathshow ? Get involved with the families in the dramatised parts of How We Used To Live ?

Joe Parrish
Location: Antigua, New York City, and New York and New Jersey and Connecticut and Tennessee, USA

Post by Joe Parrish » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:15 am

Guess no one here enjoyed 'Pinky Lee'. It was 'in color' if we put this special plastic on our B/W telly screens. Joy is almost always contagious.
Peace and blessings,
Joe

Ernest
Auxilium

Post by Ernest » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:37 am

I also remember the BBC Programs for schools, watched on black and white screens, particularly in primary and early on in Secondary School.

And if I was home from school sick, I could still watch the programs at home.

I also remember the early Open University Programs, broadcast via the BBC, not that I understood much of them, but the variety of input was breath taking.

Now, I believe that it is all done over the internet, which is a shame, because most people wanting to study, might not have a computer, but most will have a TV screen to watch.

The other TV shows I loved as a child were the early Sherlock Holmes films broadcast, which included the likes of Basil Rathbone. They are still available on obscure channels on the internet or Satellite TV. Doses of nostalgia, films without swearing and overt sexual content. Bring them on.

Lord, I am displaying my age :blink:
God is Life!
God is Hope!
God is Love!
God Is!!

Pam
Web Pastor

Post by Pam » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:56 pm

I remember schools programmes being broadcast in the middle of the night and videoed, the school video machine needing to be set up in advance by the one teacher who could deal with the modern technology!

When I was teaching at secondary school, we had a parents' evening when the affair between Deidre Barlow and Mike Baldwin came to a head when it was discovered by Deidre's husband. The school techie videoed the episode for us and those who wished to see it squashed into the IT suite the next lunchtime. This was the nearest to 'catch up TV' we could manage in . the 1980s!

rolyn

Post by rolyn » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:00 am

Pre video recorder days we planned a fund raising whist drive in our village hall. As the date approached we realised it was on the same night Dallas. Not only that, but the very episode in which it was to be be revealed as to 'who shot J R.'
Our family didn’t follow the programme so weren’t bothered. Fortunately enough like minded folk turned out to support us that evening.

As for revamping bygone children’s TV ? Well yes, best of British luck with that venture. I hate to hear of modern day kids suffering from all this anxiety and depp. we seem to hear so much about. So if something can reduce that then all well and good.

However, having said that I do think that kind of 'innocence' of the Crackerjack Era, (for want of a better expression), has today been replaced by something else. It is therefore difficult to see it ever making a return.